From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I found my VM-based stuff to be unbelievably slow, slower even than the non-VM-based
applications. I don't know what I need to configure in my VM for better performance, but
even my editor is sluggish in the VM.
joe

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:54:55 +0000, David Lowndes <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>>But it seems the same of issues (and possible worst) has continued. I
>>read the project manager blog and I believe he was misguided taking
>>"reviews" from testers who I honestly believe they don't really want
>>to tell him the bad news, so they tell him "its better than the beta"
>>and believes thats OK! I don't think that is the real test.
>
>Agreed. I still think VS2010 sucks (performance wise) - it seems to
>take ages to load on my test VM. I can get VS2005/8 loaded and working
>before the splash screen on VS2010 has thought about going away.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 26, 6:54 pm, David Lowndes <Dav...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> >But it seems the same of issues (and possible worst) has continued. I
> >read the project manager blog and I believe he was misguided taking
> >"reviews" from testers who I honestly believe they don't really want
> >to tell him the bad news, so they tell him "its better than the beta"
> >and believes thats OK!  I don't think that is the real test.
>
> Agreed. I still think VS2010 sucks (performance wise) - it seems to
> take ages to load on my test VM. I can get VS2005/8 loaded and working
> before the splash screen on VS2010 has thought about going away.

I havent used it and was planning to install as it comes out. But I
cant believe they would regress in this area. In fact, for VS2008( or
was it 2005?), they made sure it was instantaneous to load a txt
file. It was an advertised feature.

--
Ajay
From: Hector Santos on
Ajay Kalra wrote:

> On Feb 26, 6:54 pm, David Lowndes <Dav...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>>> But it seems the same of issues (and possible worst) has continued. I
>>> read the project manager blog and I believe he was misguided taking
>>> "reviews" from testers who I honestly believe they don't really want
>>> to tell him the bad news, so they tell him "its better than the beta"
>>> and believes thats OK! I don't think that is the real test.
>> Agreed. I still think VS2010 sucks (performance wise) - it seems to
>> take ages to load on my test VM. I can get VS2005/8 loaded and working
>> before the splash screen on VS2010 has thought about going away.
>
> I havent used it and was planning to install as it comes out. But I
> cant believe they would regress in this area. In fact, for VS2008( or
> was it 2005?), they made sure it was instantaneous to load a txt
> file. It was an advertised feature.

Right, it makes you scratch your head or wonder if its your fault.

--
HLS
From: Liviu on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote...
> I found my VM-based stuff to be unbelievably slow, slower even than
> the non-VM-based applications. I don't know what I need to configure
> in my VM for better performance, but even my editor is sluggish [...]

Heresy ;-) Epsilon is never sluggish (yes, I am a longtime addict, too).

In my experience (mostly with VMWare) but setting the VM to use
a standard mouse cursor and turning off "pointer trails" helped a lot,
even more so when run remotely (over RDP for example).

Liviu

From: David Lowndes on
>I found my VM-based stuff to be unbelievably slow, slower even than the non-VM-based
>applications. I don't know what I need to configure in my VM for better performance, but
>even my editor is sluggish in the VM.

I don't generally have any noticeable performance problems in VMs
(VMWare WS7), except the ones with VS2010 installed.

Dave