From: Hector Santos on
At the end of the day, I think every programmer basically just needs a
editor, compiler, linker, debugger and maybe a resource editor. :)

I just started the VS2005 IDE and it spent 3 seconds saying

Please wait for the news channels to update their contents.....

And then it said:

The current news channel might not be valid or your
internet connection might be unavailable. To change
the news channel, on the Tools menu click Options, then
expand Environment and Click Startup.

Fundamentally, ethically, and socially, IMO this is wrong and should
be eliminated from the basic development toolset. Mind you, I have a
full time connection and I did everything I could to turn this IDE
startup "Spy Ware" off. So why it is still trying?

It is stuff like this that really has nothing to do with pure
development practices that adds to VS20xx QA. The above is basically
HELP and HELP should be on demand - The IDE is great, but I don't want
a "Social Networking" idea in the IDE. In fact, I would venture there
are some legal angles to use here to STOP MS from doing this, of
course, today, young bloods have no concept about - the "new normal."

Make it a SEPARATE tool. One less thing to worry about at all levels
of product development.

My opinion of course. :)

--
HLS

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:59:03 -0500, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>At the end of the day, I think every programmer basically just needs a
>editor, compiler, linker, debugger and maybe a resource editor. :)
>
>I just started the VS2005 IDE and it spent 3 seconds saying
>
> Please wait for the news channels to update their contents.....
****
Now THAT'S a totally useless feature you CAN disable. Just change the initial startup
page.

Tools>Options>Environment>Startup
****

>And then it said:
>
> The current news channel might not be valid or your
> internet connection might be unavailable. To change
> the news channel, on the Tools menu click Options, then
> expand Environment and Click Startup.
>
>Fundamentally, ethically, and socially, IMO this is wrong and should
>be eliminated from the basic development toolset. Mind you, I have a
>full time connection and I did everything I could to turn this IDE
>startup "Spy Ware" off. So why it is still trying?

>It is stuff like this that really has nothing to do with pure
>development practices that adds to VS20xx QA. The above is basically
>HELP and HELP should be on demand - The IDE is great, but I don't want
>a "Social Networking" idea in the IDE. In fact, I would venture there
>are some legal angles to use here to STOP MS from doing this, of
>course, today, young bloods have no concept about - the "new normal."
>
>Make it a SEPARATE tool. One less thing to worry about at all levels
>of product development.
>
>My opinion of course. :)
****
But one I think a lot of us who used the Internet before, say, last year, think is
important.
joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> See below...
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:59:03 -0500, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the end of the day, I think every programmer basically just needs a
>> editor, compiler, linker, debugger and maybe a resource editor. :)
>>
>> I just started the VS2005 IDE and it spent 3 seconds saying
>>
>> Please wait for the news channels to update their contents.....
> ****
> Now THAT'S a totally useless feature you CAN disable. Just change the initial startup
> page.
>
> Tools>Options>Environment>Startup
> ****

It was off. I had it where it would always fail but still show the
Recent Projects window though.

But now you messed me up. :) Now its back to where it actually goes
out and finds the channels and I have NO CHANNELS listed. It must of
restored something.

You can't turn it off without completely turning it off (recent
projects as well).

Darn it. Now I have to figure it out again. I had it where would
start with the Recent Pages but failed to do the channels. Now its
TRACKING ME AGAIN! :)

Oh Well!!

--
HLS
From: Ajay Kalra on
> >I just started the VS2005 IDE and it spent 3 seconds saying
>
> >     Please wait for the news channels to update their contents.....
>
> ****
> Now THAT'S a totally useless feature you CAN disable.  Just change the initial startup
> page.

Another issue with Start page is that it uses the same control as IE
(IWebBrowser??) which loads all the BHOs with it. This is not
necessarily a good thing for most.

I personally dont see any usefulness of Start Page.

--
Ajay

From: BobF on
Hector Santos wrote:

> The idea of the Start Page if it primarily focuses on local developer
> activity first and allows for easily configuration, is ok I think. For
> example, having the Recent Projects come up I like.

What wrong with recent projects from the File menu?