From: BobF on
David Ching wrote:
> "Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
>> I tried Outlook Express as my first newsreader after the CompuServe
>> forums. I had been
>> using TAPCIS. But I found OE useless; for example, it didn't keep
>> local copies of the
>> messages, and it didn't do threading right. So if I had to go back
>> and look at a message,
>> it had to download it again, and if it was gone from the server, I
>> couldn't see it.
>>

> Outlook Express has kept local copies of messages for some time now, and
> I don't remember when it didn't.
>

>> And it is completely useless to me if I use full Outlook, and even
>> ends up creating
>> problems.
>>

> Nonsense, I have used both together for years with absolutely no
> problem. Just disable all e-mail accounts in Outlook Express so it
> doesn't conflict with your Outlook e-mail.

I used OE until I found Thunderbird. OE seemed to have really bad
indexing problems that hosed it up really bad from time to time. OE is
also bad about managing connections. Far too many 'too many
connections' errors using OE.

I used Dialog for a while. It was better than OE. I've been using
Thunderbird for a couple of years. [For me] it is a thing of beauty!

>> I searched around a lot before I discovered Agent. I tried at least
>> four other newsgroup
>> readers, but they were all of the throw-some-widgets-at-the-problem
>> design, and were
>> nearly unusable.
>
> I used TapCIS as well but unlike you, did not find Agent intuitive.
>

>> The last I'd heard about the NTTP server interface to the forums was
>> that it didn't work
>> at all. So I should go look again.
>
> I need to try it also. I used to (try to) use it a lot and gave up, now
> that it (somewhat) works, I don't have time.
>
> -- David

I set up a couple of groups via the bridge yesterday. So far, it seems
to function fine.

I don't like the idea of having to have a separate, local process (the
bridge) to do this.

Last year I participated in ASP.Net forums for a few months. Those
forums have (had?) an nntp interface that worked fine without an
additional process running on my machine.

The only reason I can think of to have an additional local process is to
provide some other data mining capability for MS. But I'm paranoid
about process communicating over the net for no apparent [good] reason.

Anyway, yes, you should look again.
From: Hector Santos on

> Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

>> I'm with you on that. We can debate whether qedit (which I've never
>> used) or Epsilon (which I've used for 22 years) is the "best" editor,

>> but the key thing Microsoft COMPLETELY overlooked: editors are not
>> a technology, they are a religion.

BTW Joe, I found this gem in the V8CGI INSTALL file:

NOTE: If you don't like to use vi to edit files,
use gedit instead.

That had me rolling!

--
HLS
From: David Ching on
"David Lowndes" <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote in message
> David,
>
> Never underestimate how much *you've* learned to use a piece of
> software - no matter how good or bad it is.
>
> You only have to sit with someone who's not already familiar with much
> software, to discover how unintuitive many aspects of today's UIs
> really are.
>
> I'd recommend everyone to do this periodically to remind yourself just
> how bewildering things are to someone who doesn't know.

Oh I know, having been down that road many times with my wife! ;) I just
didn't expect to hear the same argument from Joe, an expert of Windows and
the IDE! I don't think the IDE designers are necessarily wrong for assuming
a certain amount of Windows background from VC++ programmers (such as
knowing how a drop button and status bar in a MDI app work). Maybe those
aren't optimal, but it's certainly not the first time we should have seen
them.

-- David

From: David Ching on
"BobF" <nothanks(a)no.spam> wrote in message
> Last year I participated in ASP.Net forums for a few months. Those forums
> have (had?) an nntp interface that worked fine without an additional
> process running on my machine.

Microsoft's contention is that NNTP does not provide things like rating
posts, marking posts as answers, etc. Windows Live Mail does have these
features, which I assume work with the bridge.

> The only reason I can think of to have an additional local process is to
> provide some other data mining capability for MS. But I'm paranoid about
> process communicating over the net for no apparent [good] reason.
>
> Anyway, yes, you should look again.

Thanks, I will ceratinly do so. In particular the VC++ General forum is
relevant for us here in this newsgroup.

-- David

From: BobF on
David Ching wrote:
> "BobF" <nothanks(a)no.spam> wrote in message
>> Last year I participated in ASP.Net forums for a few months. Those
>> forums have (had?) an nntp interface that worked fine without an
>> additional process running on my machine.
>>

> Microsoft's contention is that NNTP does not provide things like rating
> posts, marking posts as answers, etc. Windows Live Mail does have these
> features, which I assume work with the bridge.
>

>> The only reason I can think of to have an additional local process is
>> to provide some other data mining capability for MS. But I'm paranoid
>> about process communicating over the net for no apparent [good] reason.
>>
>> Anyway, yes, you should look again.
>
> Thanks, I will ceratinly do so. In particular the VC++ General forum is
> relevant for us here in this newsgroup.
>
> -- David

That's one I have set up. I haven't posted yet, but it appears to be
receiving well - and rather snappy!

IIRC, I was awarded points for answering questions via my newsreader at
asp.net. I can't say for sure though. My memory isn't what it used to
be. :-)