From: AVee on
I can live with the fangs. Congrats, and thanks for the help you had been to
me in the past.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The design of the forums could be called "amateurish" but that gives a bad name to amateur
designers everywhere, and constitutes defamation of character for amateurs.

I find them completely and utterly unusable.

I think what Microsoft has to do is "expose the API" for the forums, so third-party
developers can develop decent readers. It is clear that Microsoft is struggling to become
clever enough at the design to rate "totally clueless", but they haven't gotten that good
yet. They are still in the model of "give a beginner some knowledge of hyperlinks, a
couple of widgets, and some JavaScript, and see what comes out". The forums are the
result.

If they exposed the API, there are a lot of companies that actually *understand* how to do
good newsreaders who might go into the market of developing a decent newsreader for the
Microsoft forums. But the forums, as they stand, show the kind of design I might expect
for a 1-week assignment if I were teaching an introductory class in HTML programming. No,
I stand corrected; I had students who did much better designs than this the one time I
taught introductory HTML (which took about two hours).
joe

From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 24, 2:43 pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> The design of the forums could be called "amateurish" but that gives a bad name to amateur
> designers everywhere, and constitutes defamation of character for amateurs.
>
> I find them completely and utterly unusable.

I dont understand why we need forums when we have NGs. What exactly do
they offer that cant be done in a NG?

--
Ajay

From: Tom Serface on
There is a certain type of elegance to the forums. First off they can do
advertising and keep statistics about who's doing what. That provides them
with valuable feedback. They are pretty easy to search as well. It must
be difficult trying to manage public newsgroup servers as well with all of
the spam stuff going on.

They have gotten much easier to use over the past few months. MSFT is
putting a lot of effort into making it work.

Tom

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Nothing except stroking the egos of a bunch of designer wannabes. I cannot tell what the
forums could possibly offer.

Note that some newsgroups explicitly do not exist; for example, Win7 support is only
available on a forum, not in a newsgroup. There are persistent rumors that the newsgroups
will be decomissioned. This would be very sad.
joe