From: Cholo Lennon on
Ajay Kalra wrote:
> On Feb 22, 10:54 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>> There are more VC++ developers than VB or C#. Again, unclassified industry data.
>> (Actually, this surprised me, because about ten years ago, the balance was quite
>> different).
>
> That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
> 10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
> today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
> 100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
> been for many years.
>
> --
> Ajay

Well, this index doesn't represent the absolute truth, but you can get
an idea about the popularity of programming languages:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html

Acording to this index (9 years old), VB was never as popular as C++
(besides other variables, IMHO popularity is thightly coupled to the
number of developers)

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.
From: Cholo Lennon on
Cholo Lennon wrote:
> Ajay Kalra wrote:
>> On Feb 22, 10:54 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>>> There are more VC++ developers than VB or C#. Again, unclassified
>>> industry data.
>>> (Actually, this surprised me, because about ten years ago, the
>>> balance was quite
>>> different).
>>
>> That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
>> 10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
>> today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
>> 100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
>> been for many years.
>>
>> --
>> Ajay
>>

> Well, this index doesn't represent the absolute truth, but you can get
> an idea about the popularity of programming languages:
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>

> Acording to this index (9 years old), VB was never as popular as C++
> (besides other variables, IMHO popularity is thightly coupled to the
> number of developers)

My mistake, according to this index, at least in 1985 (?) Vb was more
popular than C++

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 22, 11:40 am, David Lowndes <Dav...(a)example.invalid> wrote:
> >That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
> >10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
> >today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
> >100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
> >been for many years.
>
> It surely all depends where these magic figures are coming from :)

Those inital figures were sited at MVP summit by MSFT. Also, I read
this in intros in one of the books. Of course these can all be wrong.
I also recall it was Joe was stated it in this group about VB
outnumbering VC developers.

I was actually surprised because I never thought VB would be so
popular.

--
Ajay

From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 05:54:34 -0800 (PST), Ajay Kalra
<ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Feb 21, 11:27�pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>> Actually, it is because Microsoft is actively discouraging the newsgroups and wants
>> everyone to move to the forums.
>
>I must have been under a rock; what are these forums? I thought this
>newsgroup is one of the "forums".

Most of the Microsoft forums are listed at
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

I find the change to web forums is a pain in the neck because
navigation is tedious.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
From: Tom Serface on
Hi Joe,

It was nice to see you last week (and the others).

Probably worth pointing out that it was not necessarily Visual C++ that was
the most popular, but C++ in general. The metric is still useful of course
and C++ has a lot of momentum.

I think there is a place in the world for both.

Tom

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> Actually, it is because Microsoft is actively discouraging the newsgroups
> and wants
> everyone to move to the forums. Unfortunately, they are totally clueless
> about building a
> decent forum reader, and instead rely on third-rate designs that produce
> fourth-rate user
> interfaces.
>
> Interestingly enough, we learned at the MVP Summit (and this is *not* NDA
> material,
> because I specifically asked if we could quote the numbers, which came
> from non-Microsoft
> industry data) there are more C++ programmers in the world than .NET
> programmers. The
> numbers are on my laptop, which is not near me, but it something like a
> factor-of-2.
> joe
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 19:28:54 -0800 (PST), Ajay Kalra <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: CMenu class and menu object
Next: need some class help