From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
According to the industry data, a lot of them are designers of embedded systems.
joe

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:54:18 +0000, David Lowndes <DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>>> there are more C++ programmers in the world than .NET programmers
>>
>>That gives me some hope that there are more programmers solving real
>>problems than those bent on replacing working menu systems with unuseable
>>ribbons or replacing convenient lists by web interfaces displaying no more
>>than 10 items per screen. Grrrr.
>
>Indeed - I suspect that most C++ developers are relatively quiet and
>never appear on the marketing radar.
>
>Dave
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:54:18 +0000, David Lowndes
<DavidL(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>>> there are more C++ programmers in the world than .NET programmers
>>
>>That gives me some hope that there are more programmers solving real
>>problems than those bent on replacing working menu systems with unuseable
>>ribbons or replacing convenient lists by web interfaces displaying no more
>>than 10 items per screen. Grrrr.
>
>Indeed - I suspect that most C++ developers are relatively quiet and
>never appear on the marketing radar.
>
>Dave

Perhaps Microsoft only consider VC++ developers rather than C++
developers in general. My last job inv loved working with hundreds of
programmers. About half of them used C++. There were only a few
working on Windows application development who used VC++.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
From: David Lowndes on
>According to the industry data, a lot of them are designers of embedded systems.

Having come from that direction myself, I'm not surprised to hear
that.

Dave
From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 21, 11:27 pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> Actually, it is because Microsoft is actively discouraging the newsgroups and wants
> everyone to move to the forums.

I must have been under a rock; what are these forums? I thought this
newsgroup is one of the "forums".

--
Ajay
From: Tim Slattery on
Ajay Kalra <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Feb 21, 11:27�pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>> Actually, it is because Microsoft is actively discouraging the newsgroups and wants
>> everyone to move to the forums.
>
>I must have been under a rock; what are these forums? I thought this
>newsgroup is one of the "forums".

No. There is a web interface for the newsgroups on
msnews.microsoft.com, but the forums are a completely different
animal, with no Usenet equivalent.

MS has not created any newsgroups for Windows 7, for example. All peer
support for that is on the web forums (this has greatly pissed off
many MVPs).

They have put out a "bridge" that allows you to use your newsreader to
access the forums. It's been in beta forever.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov