From: Tom Serface on
Probably was easier for you when you lived in Portland :o)

From: Hector Santos on
Interesting.

I would think if we strictly consider the Microsoft platform and
tools, VB (and VB.NET) would be clearly dominate, only because its an
easier for entry, simpler to use and caters to majority programmers
who are not highly or professionally trained. You might even find
project managers using VB/.NET for "Demos" and Outlining the GUI -
flow of dialogs. We have a few developers using C# but I suspect this
was more a "spur of the moment" new project thing or learning thing

But outside of Microsoft toolset, there is no clone VB (VB.NET)
(AFAIK), and standard C++ would be dominate. No doubt, the increase
global scene and open source contributed to this.

Now, in my client/server market where we offer a multi-language client
SDK, VB/VB.NET and WCBASIC (our embedded p-code BASIC dialect which we
choose for marketing reasons) clearly are the #1 language used for
client/server development by APPLICATION developers. There are less
C/C++, Java developers used for exclusive higher-end client
development - like adding an hosting device to our server. But its
hard to measure this too because corporate developers tend to stay out
of the support forums.

What I also see is an increase growth in language in PHP and
javascripting.

But here's the thing:

As these vendors "evolve" their platform, making it more complex, etc,
I don't see this massive movement to it and many stick to the last
stable/older version. I partly blame that on forgetting about the
developers that helped get make them successful in the first place. I
also partly blame that on hiring or assigning project managers who are
more focus on the new and not backward compatibility.

You can see that with Microsoft during the 2000s, it was a moving
target and C/C++ (and MFC) was the only thing that was pretty much
stable. I know we did not embrace the .NET platform for any serious
work ourselves. So I can imagine there are thousands of veteran
Microsoft shops who are somewhat in the same position with long time
stable C/C++ products. Change for the sake of change is not always
the best thing.

--

Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> Microsoft VB developers were once numbered 2,000,000 compared to VC++ 700,000. But
> several things have changed that, including internationalized markets in which VC++ is
> more popular, and the continuing non-MS C++ developers.
>
> Again, this is from the industry studies we were shown.
>
> In my marketplace, VC++ still rules, and the GUI is necessarily in MFC.
> joe
>
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:05:04 -0800 (PST), Ajay Kalra <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 22, 10:54 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>>> There are more VC++ developers than VB or C#. Again, unclassified industry data.
>>> (Actually, this surprised me, because about ten years ago, the balance was quite
>>> different).
>> That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
>> 10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
>> today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
>> 100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
>> been for many years.
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Software evolves.

We know this, because there is no evidence of Intelligent Design anywhere.

The web-world convinces people that if you toss a few widgets at the problem, put a
trivial amount of JavaVirus behind them, and download everything on demand, you have built
an interface.

You do not get a good outcome from the "let's-toss-it-together" approach to user
interfaces. But that's what I see happening, and as soon as the widgets work, you ship.
joe

From: Mihai N. on

> I would have really expected it to go the other way, especially with
> the advent of .Net.

If one care at least a little bit about cross-platoform,
then .NET is out of the picture instantly.

--
Mihai Nita [Microsoft MVP, Visual C++]
http://www.mihai-nita.net

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> Certainly. VB, even after almost a decade is still popular.

Francesco Balena (an Italian VB guru) confirms what you wrote:

http://www.vbmigration.com/Blog/post/2009/11/Programming-Visual-Basic-6-10-year-anniversary-edition.aspx

<cite>
In fact, I still receive royalties from this book, which is truly
unbeliavable given that Microsoft discontinued VB6 seven years ago.
</cite>

> VB.Net is
> totally different animal and really has nothing to down with VB. They
> just called it VB.Net to attract those who fell for the name.

You are right.
VB.NET has the complexity level similar to C# (i.e. more complex than
classic VB), but a VB-like syntax (i.e. If...End If, Sub...End Sub..., etc.)
I would define VB.NET something like a C# in a VB-syntax.

Giovanni

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Prev: CMenu class and menu object
Next: need some class help