From: Tom Serface on
I can't figure out why VB is even still in use. From my perspective VB.NET
is not really similar to VB6 and C# is so much easier to learn and is so
similar to C++ and Java that it makes moving between the syntaxes pretty
easy. I think the release of VB.NOT ticked off more VB6 users. I would be
interested to see a statistic on how many people are still using VB6
(probably similar to VC6). Of course, some people are still using Turbo
Pascal.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
One interesting twist that your note sparked in my head was that users
programming VBA applications may be able to use VB.NET easier than C#.
There are certainly a lot of them.

Tom

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Sadly, COM support in MFC is really horrible; the nasty surprises I got when I built the
PowerPoint Indexer, and the undocumented exceptions I had to handle, made the whole thing
a real pain to use. I consider one of the goals of usability to make MFC more
COM/automation ready.
joe

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:44:04 +0100, "Giovanni Dicanio"
<giovanniDOTdicanio(a)REMOVEMEgmail.com> wrote:

>"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> MSFT didnt need VB.Net. C# was enough.
>
>To my knowledge, the only thing that VB.NET could do better than C# was
>managing COM late-binding (i.e. IDispatch) in a programmer's friendly way.
>
>This could be come in handy when automating Microsoft Office.
>This blog post clearly shows the advantage of using VB.NET vs. C# in that
>particular scenario:
>
>"Back to Basics: var != Dim"
>http://www.hanselman.com/blog/BackToBasicsVarDim.aspx
>
>However, in .NET 4 the features of VB.NET and C# were aligned together, and
>my understanding is that now C# supports COM late-binding in a much better
>(and programmer's friendly) way.
>
>Giovanni

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Scambler on
David Wilkinson <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote in
There are also

> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vclanguage/threads/
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvc/threads

Case in point. In my newsreader, not maximized, I can see 25 headers and a
large text window. If I scroll I can quickly scan over 200 headers.

If I click the links above, in a maximized window I can see 8 headers. If I
scroll I can see another 12. If I want to see more I have to scroll down
and click to next page, next page, next page...

I just do not have time for that.

dave
From: David Wilkinson on
David Scambler wrote:
> David Wilkinson <no-reply(a)effisols.com> wrote in
> There are also
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vclanguage/threads/
>>
>> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Vsexpressvc/threads
>>

> Case in point. In my newsreader, not maximized, I can see 25 headers and a
> large text window. If I scroll I can quickly scan over 200 headers.
>
> If I click the links above, in a maximized window I can see 8 headers. If I
> scroll I can see another 12. If I want to see more I have to scroll down
> and click to next page, next page, next page...
>
> I just do not have time for that.

I do not disagree with you.

I was just saying where the MSDN Visual C++ forums are.

--
David Wilkinson
Visual C++ MVP