From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Microsoft VB developers were once numbered 2,000,000 compared to VC++ 700,000. But
several things have changed that, including internationalized markets in which VC++ is
more popular, and the continuing non-MS C++ developers.

Again, this is from the industry studies we were shown.

In my marketplace, VC++ still rules, and the GUI is necessarily in MFC.
joe

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:05:04 -0800 (PST), Ajay Kalra <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 10:54�am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
>> There are more VC++ developers than VB or C#. �Again, unclassified industry data.
>> (Actually, this surprised me, because about ten years ago, the balance was quite
>> different). �
>
>That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
>10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
>today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
>100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
>been for many years.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
The surveys were based not on "popularity" as measured by newsgroup posts, but by asking
programmers what languages they actually used. One of the surveys was on what languages
students were learning, one was on what practical programmers actually use. C++ was
largely in the top 3 throughout the world. Note that the tremendous increase in
programmers in Japan, China and India are a factor in the worldwide dominance of C++.
joe

From: Ajay Kalra on
On Feb 22, 5:36 pm, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> Microsoft VB developers were once numbered 2,000,000 compared to VC++ 700,000.

This is how I remember it. Although numbers I had was 700K vs
1.4million. Regdless, it was clearly VB over C++.

> But several things have changed that, including internationalized markets in which VC++ is
> more popular, and the continuing non-MS C++ developers.

I would have really expected it to go the other way, especially with
the advent of .Net.

--
Ajay
From: Cmplx80 on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> From an email received last week, from Amit Mohindra, of the VC++ team:
> ====================================
> There are roughly 10 million developers in the world. There are less than 2,000 Microsoft
> developer MVPs.
>
> To say that Microsoft MVPs are cut above "normal" developers in terms of technical
> excellence and willingness to help the community doesn�t begin to quantify the work that
> you and your peers do!
>
> Of those 2,000 MVPs, 20 have been selected as the strongest contributors by the Product
> groups for their outstanding contributions - and you have been named as one of those 20
> MVPs.
>
> Joseph it is with great pride I am informing you the VC++ MVPs have selected you as the
> C++ MVP of the year
> ====================================
>
> Of the remaining 19 recipients, one of the others was also from the VC++ MVPs, Mike Ryan.
> We were both slightly amazed at all this, especially because we had no idea until Monday
> that this was even a possibility.
> joe
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

A well-deserved congrats, Joe.
I've enjoyed reading your posts and opinions here, as well as browsing
your most informative web site.

Frank
From: Ajay Kalra on

> That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
> 10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
> today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
> 100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
> been for many years.
>
> Maybe VB6 but not VB.NET (just guessing).

Certainly. VB, even after almost a decade is still popular. VB.Net is
totally different animal and really has nothing to down with VB. They
just called it VB.Net to attract those who fell for the name.

--
Ajay

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Prev: CMenu class and menu object
Next: need some class help