From: Tom Serface on
I think a lot of the C++ is on other, I.E., non-Windows, platforms and
outside of the US. If I remember right Java was the #1 language in the US
which was a little disturbing.

Another thing we can mention (I asked specifically) is that Microsoft showed
a huge renewed interest in reviving and enhancing support for native Windows
programming. We asked about whether native and MFC were dead and got a
definite "No" from every Microsoft person in the room. They said quite the
contrary. I'm not sure what that means for the long run, but I think it
means our investment in C++ as a skill will be useful for a long time to
come and that was good news.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
I heard that a lot of this was device driver level stuff as well, but that
for people using Visual C++ a really high percentage of them use MFC still.
I think some of those are still on VC6, but the new 2010 Class Wizard should
entice a few to upgrade. It is pretty great from what I've seen in the
release candidate.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
I think the .NET demographic is growing quickly though. Visual C++ had
around 10 years of established code base before .NET even came on the scene.
I think the C++ overall numbers have convinced Microsoft that they just
can't make it go away :o)

I'd be more scared to invest in learning much VB at this point. Not that
it's going away or anything, but whenever I hear someone say ".NET" they
usually mean C# so I suspect that will continue to be the most growing
syntax. Of course, C++/CLI and VB and all the other #'s get the benefit of
..NET improvements.

From: Tom Serface on
That may be true for "new" programming of GUI applications. The numbers we
saw were more universally encompassing. C++ is still a popular language,
but there was a breakdown as to whether that was because of maintenance, or
new projects.

Tom

From: Tom Serface on
Yes, although a lot of those devices (like Blu-ray players) also use Java.
I think there is a hot competition for embedded devices and that is where a
lot of emphasis is being focused.

Although, some of them are also using .NET compact framework which has a lot
of value.

Tom

"RFOG" <no(a)mail.com> wrote in message news:op.u8jdzeq42upo6d(a)red-mars...
> But you need to think that 99,9% of actual devices have a processor and it
> is done in C or C++. Think in washing machines, parkings, medical
> machines, tv, video, players... practically all modern gadgets and
> electrical appliances have at leas one processor into them, and those
> processors cannot be programmed in .NET or other non C languages.
>
> PS: Congrats, Joseph and Mike!

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: CMenu class and menu object
Next: need some class help