From: Tom Serface on
LOL... I want one.

From: Cholo Lennon on
Bo Persson wrote:
> Cholo Lennon wrote:
>> Cholo Lennon wrote:

>>> Well, this index doesn't represent the absolute truth, but you can
>>> get an idea about the popularity of programming languages:
>>>
>>> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
>>>
>>> Acording to this index (9 years old), VB was never as popular as
>>> C++ (besides other variables, IMHO popularity is thightly coupled
>>> to the number of developers)
>>>
>> My mistake, according to this index, at least in 1985 (?) Vb was
>> more popular than C++
>>

> This "most popular" means most talked about, not the most used.
>
> For example, I also use Cobol (position 26, 0.437%) to support a code
> base of millions of lines of proprietary code. We don't have a lot of
> forums discussing this, so it is not "popular" anymore. No marketing
> either.

Well, it's difficult to say (and measure) which is the most
popular language. The popularity is a combination of several variables
like # of developers, # of written code lines, # of resources, etc, etc.
Tiobe index is for me just "an opinion" among other.

> Some of the other languages are "more popular" because they have a
> large marketing organization promoting the traffic that Tiobe
> measures.

I agree with you (this explain why google's Go is "so" popular in
Tiobe index).

BTW take a look to:

http://blog.timbunce.org/2009/05/17/tiobe-index-is-being-gamed/

> Bo Persson

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.

From: Pete Delgado on

"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> Joseph it is with great pride I am informing you the VC++ MVPs have
> selected you as the
> C++ MVP of the year
> ====================================
>
> Of the remaining 19 recipients, one of the others was also from the VC++
> MVPs, Mike Ryan.
> We were both slightly amazed at all this, especially because we had no
> idea until Monday
> that this was even a possibility.

Congratulations! I always find your posts informative and insightful!

-Pete

From: Ajay Kalra on
> It was nice to see you last week (and the others).

I didnt even know that it took place :-(

--
Ajay
From: Drew on

"Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 22, 10:54 am, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> There are more VC++ developers than VB or C#. Again, unclassified industry
> data.
> (Actually, this surprised me, because about ten years ago, the balance was
> quite
> different).

That doesnt sound right. I believe VB developers easily surpassed C++
10 years ago. I would be surprised if thats not the case with C#
today. Where I work now (and for last 5+ years), we have gone from
100% C++ to less than 30% C++. GUI is completely out of C++ and has
been for many years.

Maybe VB6 but not VB.NET (just guessing).

Drew

--
Ajay

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: CMenu class and menu object
Next: need some class help