From: Roger Fink on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Roger Fink wrote:
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> Post your questions here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php
>>>
>>> IE is part & parcel of the Windows OS. Use any browser you want but
>>> your computer's still subject to any/all unaddresssed security
>>> vulnerabilites, Roger.
>>>
>>> PS: Extended Support for Win2K ends in June 2010. When that
>>> happens, there will be NO further security updates for your
>>> computer, no matter what IE version is installed.
>>
>> Ergo?
>
> No more Cumulative Security Updates for IE, for one.

Well I don't really use IE6 for anything anymore. Maxthon has an add-on to
access WU, not that that will matter much down the road. But I don't want to
continue to use it if the browser is vulnerable to the same attacks that
plague IE6, which is what prompted the initial post.

From: Roger Fink on
Jerry wrote:
> Maxrhon is not a replacement for IE as it uses the IE browwsing engine
> and is just a change in the UI.

Does that mean that the same patches released for IE6 have been effective pn
Maxthon?

From: 98 Guy on
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> PS: Extended Support for Win2K ends in June 2010.
> >> When that happens, there will be NO further security updates
> >> for your computer
> >
> > Ergo?
>
> No more Cumulative Security Updates for IE, for one.

What it also means is that after June 2010, you're safer (from a
drive-by exploit POV) running Win-98 than you are running win-2k.

Reason: malware written to exploit IE6 vulnerabilities will most likely
not function properly on win-98 with IE6-sp1 vs win-2k. This has
probably *always* been the case, but it becomes more relevant after June
this year.
From: MEB on
On 01/19/2010 10:01 AM, 98 Guy wrote:

>>> Ergo?
>>
>> No more Cumulative Security Updates for IE, for one.
>
> What it also means is that after June 2010, you're safer (from a
> drive-by exploit POV) running Win-98 than you are running win-2k.
>
> Reason: malware written to exploit IE6 vulnerabilities will most likely
> not function properly on win-98 with IE6-sp1 vs win-2k. This has
> probably *always* been the case, but it becomes more relevant after June
> this year.

Wait a minute 98 Guy, on one hand *you recommend* installation of *IE6
updates from W2K* into Win9X [you have repeatedly done that in the
win98.gen_discussion group], and here you state that leaving Win98 IE6
at SP1 EOL level provides protection...

I previously made similar statements wherein I said I had previously
thought I would NEVER recommend IE6 installation in a discussion
relating to FF2 at its EOL [.20] which has severe vulnerabilities, which
made IE6 SP1 a better recommendation, due in part to most newer IE6
attacks attempting to address the NT aspects and *newer flaws* instilled
via the updates AFTER IE6 SP1 at Win98 EOL level.
And in others where *you* specifically argued and recommended these
installations of W2K update files into 9X IE6 REGARDLESS of any new
vulnerabilities these might install. So perhaps you might want to
explain/clarify *your* obviously conflicting statements and apparent
recommendations.

On the other hand, it takes a malicious website a few milliseconds to
determine *exactly* what a browser supports and what OS is being run [do
to what the OS supports/offers within it], hence its vulnerabilities, so...

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Roger Fink wrote::

>>> Ergo?
>>
>> No more Cumulative Security Updates for IE, for one.
>
> Well I don't really use IE6 for anything anymore...

You may not use it but Windows does! IE is part and parcel of your OS.