From: Roger Fink on
This is about the suitability of Maxthon browser as a replacement for IE6.
Hopefully the IE experts here are familiar enough with it to offer some
advice.

Since IE6 has been on the ropes, and since I'm happily ensconced in Win2K
with no IE upgrade path, awhile back I installed the earlier version (1.6)
of Maxthon browser, so called "Maxthon Classic". There is also a newer, more
advanced Maxthon browser, version 2.5, for which Maxthon says Vista is the
recommended OS, as opposed to stating that that is a minimum requirement.

The question is, since Maxthon is supposed to be largely derived from IE in
how it works, does it also have the same security vulnerabilities -
especially the earlier version, which is a contemporary if IE6.

By the way, my default browser is Firefox. This is a back-up. Trust me - I
occasionally have a genuine need for such an arrangement.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Post your questions here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php

IE is part & parcel of the Windows OS. Use any browser you want but your
computer's still subject to any/all unaddresssed security vulnerabilites,
Roger.

PS: Extended Support for Win2K ends in June 2010. When that happens, there
will be NO further security updates for your computer, no matter what IE
version is installed.

From: Roger Fink on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Post your questions here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php
>
> IE is part & parcel of the Windows OS. Use any browser you want but
> your computer's still subject to any/all unaddresssed security
> vulnerabilites, Roger.
>
> PS: Extended Support for Win2K ends in June 2010. When that happens,
> there will be NO further security updates for your computer, no
> matter what IE version is installed.

Ergo?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Roger Fink wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Post your questions here: http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php
>>
>> IE is part & parcel of the Windows OS. Use any browser you want but
>> your computer's still subject to any/all unaddresssed security
>> vulnerabilites, Roger.
>>
>> PS: Extended Support for Win2K ends in June 2010. When that happens,
>> there will be NO further security updates for your computer, no
>> matter what IE version is installed.
>
> Ergo?

No more Cumulative Security Updates for IE, for one.
From: Jerry on
Maxrhon is not a replacement for IE as it uses the IE browwsing engine
and is just a change in the UI.