From: sunny on

"MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 01/21/2010 12:56 AM, Sunny wrote:
> >
> > (I still use IE6 in Win98SE, and the Update site still shows me a few
> > critical updates avail)
> >

> That's a choice you make.
> What supposed criticals?
> Since EOL?
>
> My guess would be the NT based systems as usual. I would look for a
> potential pull of IE6 or NT support sooner than expected. Maybe not,
> since W2K is still under support..

"Critical" only one
GDI Detection Tool
Others :
DirectX 9.0
Net 1.1
Mapped Drives shutdown
Agent 2.0

Does EOL mean "End of Life" ((End of support 11 Jul 2006)

From: ANONYMOUS on

"N. Miller" <anonymous(a)msnews.aosake.net> wrote in message

> You are confusing your sciences; biology (penises and brains) is not
> physics. Now that you have displayed your ignorance for all to see, I'll
> just leave you to play with your lettered building blocks.

Physicists are better at "mensuration". Go and play with your teddy!.

Before you come out with another cockup read this definition:

mensuration

? noun measurement. ?the part of geometry concerned with ascertaining
lengths, areas, and volumes.

ORIGIN

C16: from late Latin mensuratio(n-), from mensurare 'to measure'.

This has nothing to do with women's periodic cycles. That is your biology!

hth

From: Sunny on

"Hot-text" <hot-text(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But Not For Us with 98
> 2000 and up
> that stop making Update for 9x to ME>>>
>

> "Sunny" <wombathouse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>> Microsoft has just announced a patch for IE6, wonder which OS it will
>> be aimed at :-)

How do you know ? The "Security Patch" for IE6 has not appeared on XP WU
site yet.

From: MEB on
On 01/21/2010 05:41 PM, sunny wrote:
> "MEB" <MEB-not-here(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 01/21/2010 12:56 AM, Sunny wrote:
>>>
>>> (I still use IE6 in Win98SE, and the Update site still shows me a few
>>> critical updates avail)
>>>

>> That's a choice you make.
>> What supposed criticals?
>> Since EOL?
>>
>> My guess would be the NT based systems as usual. I would look for a
>> potential pull of IE6 or NT support sooner than expected. Maybe not,
>> since W2K is still under support..
>
> "Critical" only one
> GDI Detection Tool
> Others :
> DirectX 9.0
> Net 1.1
> Mapped Drives shutdown
> Agent 2.0
>
> Does EOL mean "End of Life" ((End of support 11 Jul 2006)

Yes, end of [support] life.

The GDI relates to MS Products so that's not really critical since it
will only tell you there are no updates, though it might depending upon
your update level {never really checked that}.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=71CD9E74-7142-4780-83E5-CE54401DA1D1&displaylang=en

Overview
The Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool helps detect the presence of
non-Windows Microsoft products that contain the GDI+ component.
Microsoft customers can run this tool to help determine if a GDI+
security update should be applied.
This update applies to the following product: Picture It!, Picture It!
Publishing, Greetings, Digital Image Pro, and Digital Image Suite, .NET
Framework 1.0, .NET Framework 1.1, Visual Studio .NET 2002, Visual
Studio .NET 2003.

.. NET is a DO NOT INSTALL unless absolutely needed.
per my post in UNICOWS.DLL [win98.gen_discussions]

---QUOTE
" *SIMILAR SITUATION - .net*

The same holds true for .net; it is for developers, servers, and ONLY
those that require it for some reason, like within the local network.
Yet you do find some that suggest installation.

*Win98 at .net 1.1* [2003] and didn't even receive all of the updates
[2004 SP1] to that version, and where it was left apparently vulnerable.

List of bugs that are fixed in the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867460

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?DisplayLang=en&nr=20&categoryid=7&freetext=asp.net+1.1&sortCriteria=date

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=.net+1.1&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic

*Win98 at .net 2.0* coming out in 2006 and supposedly installable in
Win98, SP1 update [2007] NOT available for Win98, nor any further.

Problems that are fixed in the .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945757
"
--END QUOTE

Of the others: the mapped drives might be useful if you have issues in
your network "hanging"
SYMPTOMS
When you shut down Windows and you have a significant number of mapped
network drives (network drives that have been assigned a local drive
letter), the computer may stop responding (hang). Note that this problem
is more likely to occur as the number of mapped drives increases. The
threshold that has been reported most often is eight mapped drives.;

Agent 2.0 was for the DOG and other stuff
Microsoft Agent is a software technology that enables an enriched form
of user interaction that can make using and learning to use a computer,
easier and more natural.;

DirectX 9.0 is there if you need it; it MAY cause issues with some older
games or video adapters.

Seems we drifted away from the discussion on this as none of those
relate to IE6

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: 98 Guy on
Sunny wrote:

> >> Microsoft has just announced a patch for IE6, wonder which OS
> >> it will be aimed at :-)
>
> How do you know ? The "Security Patch" for IE6 has not appeared
> on XP WU site yet.

It's been available for direct-download on the MS site since at least 2
pm EST today.

It contains the usual set of about 2 dozen IE files. I haven't checked
MSFN yet, but I expect they already know the operability status of these
new files on win-98.