From: Uwe Kotyczka on
On 11 Mai, 03:49, Joseph M. Newcomer <newco...(a)flounder.com> wrote:
> It seems that the loss of the msnews servers won't have any impact on the newsgroups,
> which have a life of their own.
>                         joe

I'm afraid I disagree. Other MVPs wrote that it is certain that MS
will send a RMGROUP for microsoft.* which means that most news
servers will remove the groups.
Joe, may I ask you, where you will go in case microsoft.public.de.vc
will be closed soon (I read about rumours saying within 1 month
instead of 6).
Will we find you in comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc or even
in a forum (which I cannot imagine)? Or will you stop posting for
MFC - which would be really a great loss.
From: Hector Santos on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:

> I was once working for a compiler company; more than half the programmers had PhDs. New
> management came in, and the new president said "I don't understand why we have all these
> high-cost programmers. Mellon Bank is laying off programmers, and we can get them cheap."

You are sure new management didn't ask?

"How many PhDs does it take to make a compiler?"

<Running, Ducking, Hiding> :)

Hey I did consulting work in the Mellon Trust department. My window
looked down at the Pen! :) That was my last Red Tie, Blue Suit job!
Now its all shorts and sandles south of Miami!

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Wed, 12 May 2010 20:34:31 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> I was once working for a compiler company; more than half the programmers had PhDs. New
>> management came in, and the new president said "I don't understand why we have all these
>> high-cost programmers. Mellon Bank is laying off programmers, and we can get them cheap."
>

>You are sure new management didn't ask?
>
> "How many PhDs does it take to make a compiler?"
>
><Running, Ducking, Hiding> :)
****
17. One to write the code, and 16 to develop a theory of why the code will be a compiler.
****

>Hey I did consulting work in the Mellon Trust department. My window
>looked down at the Pen! :) That was my last Red Tie, Blue Suit job!
>Now its all shorts and sandles south of Miami!
****
I have a friend who made the same choice. He's living south of Miami, a city I've never
been in. But he's very happy doing what he does best. I don't think he owns a necktie or
suit (I don't own an instance of either one).

I once showed up for a dinner party sponsored by a local high-tech group, wearing the
equivalent of dockers, and a shirt with a collar but no tie, and no jacket. The person
admitting us said "excuse me, sir, but the invitation did say 'business attire', and I
said 'and what do you think I wear when I conduct my business? This IS my business attire.
If you wanted me to wear a jacket and tie..." and here I held up the invitation, which was
our admission ticket, "...this would have said 'jacket and tie required'. It does not. It
clearly states 'business attire', and that's what I'm wearing." So I got in. This was
back in the days when I could still walk. I've found that being in the electric cart gets
me some kind of bonus points for attire conformance and nobody wants to question the
"crippled guy". Weird, but I take advantage of it.

Apparently I was not the only one at that party who took the dress suggestion literally.
We even had a few jeans-and-T-shirt types (one of whom I knew, and also knew at that point
was a multi-millionaire from his new startup, which had just been bought out)
joe
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I have not decided. I tried to use the NNTP bridge, but the idiots who wrote the Web
pages made it impossible to download it. I'm redoing my site, and might have a computer
outside the firewalls which will have no direct access to any of my servers (in the DMZ,
in netspeak), so I may allow it to work with JavaVirus. Of course, the first time I get
taken out by a virus attack will end that experiment.

Sadly, Microsoft seems incapable of hiring anyone competent to do Web development; they
have a horrible fixation of programmer wannabes who feel they have to use client-side
scripting for EVERYTHING, even trivial download links. I do not understand the logic
(such as it is) that dictates this.
joe