From: MP on
Microsoft said it plans to end support for more than 4,000 old-style
newsgroups starting next month, pushing users instead to discussion forums
such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites.

Although venerable, Microsoft said that so-called NNTP newsgroups are past
their time in terms of being usable and secure.

Link:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.htm

Mike P

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
This is sad. What is worse, they have an "NNTP bridge" mechanism (I found it on
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums ) that is supposed to let us use our
professionally-designed and professionally-written news readers (instead of having to use
the first-draft amateur efforts they call a "forum") but when you go to the page to
download it, the page is COMPLETELY BLANK! How hard is it, really, to create a page with
a download button or a download hyperlink that WORKS? It ain't Rocket Science here,
guys, and why is it that Microsoft so misunderstands the Internet that they can't create a
simple download?

They make silly meaningless noises about something they call "security" but they STILL try
to run client-side scripts, which are always the mark of a sociopathic Web designer. You
don't need scripts to do simple downloads, and it is silly to require this! I actually
believe in security, and anyone who wants security should disable all forms of client-side
scripting (the preferred attack vector these days). Anyone who demands to use their Web
site it is sick.
joe

On Tue, 4 May 2010 18:22:36 -0700, "MP" <mpNoSpam(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Microsoft said it plans to end support for more than 4,000 old-style
>newsgroups starting next month, pushing users instead to discussion forums
>such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites.
>
>Although venerable, Microsoft said that so-called NNTP newsgroups are past
>their time in terms of being usable and secure.
>
>Link:
>
>http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-20004109-56.htm
>
>Mike P
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> This is sad. What is worse, they have an "NNTP bridge" mechanism (I found
> it on
> http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums ) that is supposed to let us
> use our
> professionally-designed and professionally-written news readers (instead
> of having to use
> the first-draft amateur efforts they call a "forum") but when you go to
> the page to
> download it, the page is COMPLETELY BLANK!

It works for me. Dare I say it? You may need to have Javascript enabled!
:-O

-- David

From: David Ching on
"MP" <mpNoSpam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft said it plans to end support for more than 4,000 old-style
> newsgroups starting next month, pushing users instead to discussion forums
> such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites.

There is an MFC forum:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads

Hope to see you there! And do check out the NNTP bridge:
https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums

-- David

From: Goran on
On May 5, 3:22 am, "MP" <mpNoS...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Microsoft said it plans to end support for more than 4,000 old-style
> newsgroups starting next month, pushing users instead to discussion forums
> such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites.
>
> Although venerable, Microsoft said that so-called NNTP newsgroups are past
> their time in terms of being usable and secure.

I don't like this one bit. As Joe said, a dedicated NNTP client beats
the hell out of any "forum" software. That's one reason against the
decision. Another is that some people (me included) are accessing this
through Google Groups (and I am sure that there are other sources). I
prefer the format, for familiarity, for one, and also, I don't care
logging on with a Passport account (I have one that I don't use much).

Perhaps I'll just stop coming here. Oh well.

Goran.