From: Ajay Kalra on
On May 4, 10:22 pm, "David Ching" <d...(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote:
> "MP" <mpNoS...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Microsoft said it plans to end support for more than 4,000 old-style
> > newsgroups starting next month, pushing users instead to discussion forums
> > such as those found on the Microsoft Answers, TechNet, and MSDN sites.
>
> There is an MFC forum:http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcmfcatl/threads

It already knew who I was as I had logged in using the Live ID. I
guess MSFT is getting everyone all under one big umbrella.

--
Ajay
From: David Lowndes on
>I already dont feel like taking the step of using the bridge. This
>era is coming to a rather abrupt end.

I've been trying to use the NNTP bridge with the forums, but quite
frankly it's still a poor solution compared to using a proper NNTP
source. I don't think I can be bothered much more.

Dave
From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy)
>
> Doesn't this seem to describe someone who would force us to use
> badly-designed forums? The
> lack of empathy is what produced the VS IDE.

While there are some aspects I don't like in the new IDE, there are others
that are great.
For example, I like the C++ squiggles feature which appeared in VS2010!

BTW: I agree with you on the NNTP-bridge thing (I prefer pure NNTP
newsgroups like this one).
And one of the problems of the web forum interface is the lack of threading
view (they are "flat"); there are also problems in using the quoting tool in
the web-based editor.

And yes, I fail to understand the reason why there is no simple download
link to get the bridge binaries... Useless complexity in requiring login
before downloading :)

Giovanni

From: Hector Santos on
David Lowndes wrote:

>> I already dont feel like taking the step of using the bridge. This
>> era is coming to a rather abrupt end.
>
> I've been trying to use the NNTP bridge with the forums, but quite
> frankly it's still a poor solution compared to using a proper NNTP
> source. I don't think I can be bothered much more.
>
> Dave

It is really getting tiresome. What makes this difficult is that its
really one man's decision and certainly they have not thought out
completely. But this type of new direction was precisely why I was
concern when Ozzie took over.

We develop sell electronic mail and forum software, and I've seen all
angles to it as a vendor and also provider, we use it for support as
well. And been doing this since the 80s.

Once upon a time, it was all local support, then it your have internet
integration.

Admittingly, it is difficult to single source it not only from a
development standpoint but from an operations and customer support
standpoint. I can understand it from a SMALL VENDOR standpoint, but
not Microsoft.

Case in point, ourselves.

We developed, sold and used our own Online Support system. Users
could connect via:

Dialup first only.
Then Dialup Connetion (PPP)
Then a native GUI frontend (free) was offer
Then a WEB interface offering was made
Wildcat! Exchange (hook into Outlook Exchange, MAPI)

These were still Online Mail, then offline mail technology via RFC:

POP3/SMTP <-- store and forward
IMAP <-- still a online concept
NNTP <-- still an online concept with local cachine
LIST MAIL <-- Email based Group ware

So from a support standpoint, we offerre all various ways to support
users. When the RFC methods appear, there was "some lost" of control,
it was no longer a strong "centralized concept" with the exception of
IMAP.

But you have also the other angle of support levels:

Free
Subscription levels

And there also the concept of USER SUPPORTED areas, your own customers
supporting others.

Lets not forget where Ozzie came from - Lotus Notes - the very essence
of centralize control and group ware communications.

In short, they are behaving as if they are a small vendor and doesn't
have the technology to properly integrate the diverse nature of
electronic support. Like if the easiest thing as a small vendor is to
use one method only and make a hard decision to alienate decades of
diversity for support and connectivity.

Don't get me wrong, they can still do what they want but they need to
have ready the different ways people can connect and access
(upload/download) information and do so properly.

So the reasons are far from just being technical here, but one of
consolidation and honestly some bug up someone butt who think he can
redirect Microsoft into a new era by forgetting decades of diverse
support methods.

I didn't know they tried to get rid of the MVP group. If that was the
case, then indeed they are trying to create a new model for technical
support that will come with different fee based support tiers. They
can't afford (liability wise) to have MVP people deal with Enterprise
people for example, that has to come from internal employees only.

Like I said, I am personally tired of they new directions in many
areas and they are making it very difficult to dedicate to Microsoft
only.

They really need a support manager that understands all this and is
not just a FaceBook and Twitter a-hole. That is where all this
mindset is coming from.

--
HLS
From: Tom Serface on
I've just been using the web interface and it's not so bad once you get
used to it. I have to be careful not to accidentally do something that
makes it go "back" or I lose everything I've typed and offline work is not
possible, but it's not too bad.

Tom