From: David Ching on
"BobF" <nothanks(a)no.spam> wrote in message
> The example I posted from is a FREE nntp server.
>
> There is also news.aioe.org and news.telesweet.net

Thanks Bob. I thought your example was the audio sw newsgroup you were
talking about! :-O

-- David

From: Michael Fosmire [MSFT] on
....and they have been fixed.

Thanks!
-mike

From: Pete Delgado on

"Tom Serface" <tom(a)camaswood.com> wrote in message
> I've just been using the web interface and it's not so bad once you get
> used to it. I have to be careful not to accidentally do something that
> makes it go "back" or I lose everything I've typed and offline work is not
> possible, but it's not too bad.

Tom,
I don't really have a problem with the manner in which the interface works,
but rather what is lost. For example, with nntp you can download all current
messages for offline viewing. While you can certainly try to cache the forum
using IE or a variety of other tools, I suspect that the JavaScript code
that guides the beahviour of the forum will not allow this to work properly.

....and speaking of JavaScript, people like Joe who refuse to allow it to run
on their machines are removed from the community. Thus we lose Joe's
valuable experience and knowledge.

Then we have the case of mobile devices on which these relatively "heavy"
pages either do not render properly or are sluggish or inoperable because of
the scripting behind the pages or the size of the download. As a relatively
"lightweight" technology, the pure text newsgroup is much better for mobile
devices. Take a look at the size of each page that must be downloaded from
the forums on a mobile device. Most of what is downloaded for each page is
boilerplate markup and script. While some browsers can cache external script
and CSS files, the html written for the forums appears to not optimize that
aspect.

I also dislike the fact that posters and responders cannot remain anonymous.
I think it restricts the discussion.

Finally, I believe I may have already mentioned that you cannot filter out
particular posts, subjects etc. with the forum software. Something that you
can do with many newsreader clients.

-Pete

From: Bo Persson on
Tom Serface wrote:
> I think the link posted *is* the new place. There is not a new
> newsgroup, but I'm glad that MSFT did open up an MFC forum. It
> shows that they are still serious about supporting MFC. They could
> have, just as easily, lumped us in with C++ General and C++
> Language like they had done previously.
> Tom

Well, I rather meant that not all of us here will show up there.

If the forum style is the only way of following these discussions, I'm
out.

Bo Persson

From: Hector Santos on
Bo Persson wrote:

> Tom Serface wrote:
>> I think the link posted *is* the new place. There is not a new
>> newsgroup, but I'm glad that MSFT did open up an MFC forum. It
>> shows that they are still serious about supporting MFC. They could
>> have, just as easily, lumped us in with C++ General and C++
>> Language like they had done previously.
>> Tom
>
> Well, I rather meant that not all of us here will show up there.
>
> If the forum style is the only way of following these discussions, I'm
> out.

Bo, don't worry, either they will fix the NNTP bridge or someone will
do a better job. I am interested myself of writing a NNTP gateway.

Plus I envision better desktop clients that specifically provide tech
support as you want it without all the candy and extras.

The problem with the desktop issue is that I feel you will get that
with many vendors as they see this as been a very good way to offer
better services. I know because that is what we have as well for a
long time. It works for us because we have a dedicated service. It
might work for Microsoft too.

X number of people like Online (Web)
Y number of people like Online (Native GUI)
Z number of people line Store and Forward (RFC-based protocols)

To assume X and Z will fully accept and adopt X method is both naive
and not fully understanding of the customer support spectrum. I think
MS is making some hard decisions before they haven't abandon the idea
that there are multiple portals of customer support.

The Live Framework SDK is available for any young punk entrepreneur to
do anything he wants.

--
HLS