From: Bo Persson on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> One of the myths Microsoft loves to propagate is the concept of "a
> rich multiemedia Web Experience" and by this they mean "you love to
> have annoying musing played, terminally cutesy animations shown,
> and pointeless videos to watch".
>
> I have found that most Web videos suffer from low information
> bandwidth, and could be done as text which I could read much faster
> than the video delivery presents. I can read a 1-hour video
> content in about 10 minutes, so why would I want to waste an hour
> watching a video that conveys nothing more than the text document?
>
> Screw "rich multimedia experience". When you replace this with
> "malware vector enabling technology" (which is all that it appears
> to be) then it is even more obvious how bad it is.
>
> I don't need pictures; imagine how many horrible screen shots we
> are going to have to download if people can post images! The forum
> interfaces are among the worst interfaces I have seen in a long
> time, and I work in the newsgroups because the bandwidth usage is
> effective. I don't waste time with boring videos, I don't need to
> enable any malware vectors, and I don't have to see annoying
> flashing ads and be annoyed by other "rich multimedia" features
> (the second time I got blasted by offensive rock music on a Web
> site, I disabled the speakers on my computer; then I found there
> was a way to disable playing sounds in the browser).
>
> My desire to maintain the integrity of my site means I have never
> used YouTube, FaceBook, Yahoo Groups, or any of other social
> networking site (I think most social sites are a waste of time,
> although the Olcott Saga absorbed far more time than it deserved),
> and I never use any information site that requires that I register
> or login.
> joe

Hear, hear!

Bo Persson

From: Hector Santos on
Test of news.aioe.org posting.

HA! The server restricted the TOO many quoted lines.. cutting it down....

From: Cholo Lennon on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> One of the myths Microsoft loves to propagate is the concept of "a rich multiemedia Web
> Experience" and by this they mean "you love to have annoying musing played, terminally
> cutesy animations shown, and pointeless videos to watch".
>
> I have found that most Web videos suffer from low information bandwidth, and could be done
> as text which I could read much faster than the video delivery presents. I can read a
> 1-hour video content in about 10 minutes, so why would I want to waste an hour watching a
> video that conveys nothing more than the text document?
>
> Screw "rich multimedia experience". When you replace this with "malware vector enabling
> technology" (which is all that it appears to be) then it is even more obvious how bad it
> is.
>
> I don't need pictures; imagine how many horrible screen shots we are going to have to
> download if people can post images! The forum interfaces are among the worst interfaces I
> have seen in a long time, and I work in the newsgroups because the bandwidth usage is
> effective. I don't waste time with boring videos, I don't need to enable any malware
> vectors, and I don't have to see annoying flashing ads and be annoyed by other "rich
> multimedia" features (the second time I got blasted by offensive rock music on a Web site,
> I disabled the speakers on my computer; then I found there was a way to disable playing
> sounds in the browser).
>
> My desire to maintain the integrity of my site means I have never used YouTube, FaceBook,
> Yahoo Groups, or any of other social networking site (I think most social sites are a
> waste of time, although the Olcott Saga absorbed far more time than it deserved), and I
> never use any information site that requires that I register or login.
> joe

Hey Joe (god bless you jimi hendrix! :-), I can't stop laughing (and
crying!) with your words, you're right!, I agree with you 100%, "rich
multimedia experience" must be "wait...wait... (for) a multimedia
experience :-P

Regards

--
Cholo Lennon
Bs.As.

From: Jerry Coffin on
In article <uoQdDuj7KHA.3880(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, sant9442
@nospam.gmail.com says...

[ ... ]

> Those other SITES only proved to work and be reliable with great
> participation only because on the backend one way or another, directly
> or indirectly, they were connecting to the main source:
>
> msnews.microsoft.com

Do you have any evidence that this is really true?

An NNTP article has a "Path:" header that tells what servers it went
through on the way from source to destination. I've done a search on
all the messages in this newsgroup from a couple of different servers
(aioe.org and sunsite.de) for roughly the last month. Of those, not
even *one* message has a Path showing that it either originated from
or passed through a Microsoft server at any point to get to those
servers.

Based on what I've been able to find so far, it's entirely possible
that Microsoft has actually already had their servers shut down for
months now. I'm not saying that *is* the case, but I am saying that I
can't find any evidence that a significant, or even insignificant,
percentage of messages here depend on their servers, or even go
through their servers at all.

--
Later,
Jerry.
From: Doug Harrison [MVP] on
On Sun, 9 May 2010 21:13:43 -0600, Jerry Coffin <jerryvcoffin(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>An NNTP article has a "Path:" header that tells what servers it went
>through on the way from source to destination. I've done a search on
>all the messages in this newsgroup from a couple of different servers
>(aioe.org and sunsite.de) for roughly the last month. Of those, not
>even *one* message has a Path showing that it either originated from
>or passed through a Microsoft server at any point to get to those
>servers.
>
>Based on what I've been able to find so far, it's entirely possible
>that Microsoft has actually already had their servers shut down for
>months now. I'm not saying that *is* the case, but I am saying that I
>can't find any evidence that a significant, or even insignificant,
>percentage of messages here depend on their servers, or even go
>through their servers at all.

Here's a counter-example for ya. :)

I don't know if this ever improved, but it used to be that the Microsoft
servers were really unreliable at propagating news. For example, before
Agent supported multiple servers, I tried to use the Microsoft groups as
presented on the AT&T WorldNet servers. Most of my posts never made it to
the Microsoft servers. After several months fighting this, I conceded it
was no longer worth the trouble and began to use multiple instances of
Agent, with one dedicated to the Microsoft servers. Ever since, I've only
ever posted to and read from the Microsoft servers.

--
Doug Harrison
Visual C++ MVP