From: David Ching on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote in message
> I've been an MVP for 15 consecutive years, and it is kind of a cool thing.
> I'd hate to
> lose out on that because my contributions weren't counted because they
> were "outside" the
> Microsoft newsgroups. That would be really tacky.

You know as well as I do contributions outside of the MS communities are
counted as well. There are MVP's that don't write word one on Microsoft
communities, and you have met them.

-- David

From: Bo Persson on
Hector Santos wrote:
> Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> See below...
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 17:54:41 -0400, Hector Santos
>> <sant9442(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Is that what you are really concern about? :)
>> ****
>> I've been an MVP for 15 consecutive years, and it is kind of a
>> cool thing. I'd hate to lose out on that because my contributions
>> weren't counted because they were "outside" the Microsoft
>> newsgroups. That would be really tacky. ****
>

> I hear you, but why would expect any organization to develop user
> support "Team" outside their venues?
>
> They need to keep the groups as a recognized support avenue.

Why?

Some of us, like Joe, have been doing this for a very long time. We
feel like sharing our experience with others is a good idea, just like
others helped us when we were newbies.

As we do this on our spare time, and at our convenience, it is just
tough for any organization that wants to count this as their support
team!

If they want to decide how, where and in what form they want the
support, they will have to pay for it. I have worked as a support
person earlier, and got a salary from the one that decided on the how
and the when.

When I do it for free, I decide. :-)

I, for one, will stay here as long as the news feed is active. If it
dies, it dies.

Bo Persson

From: Hector Santos on
Bo Persson wrote:

>> I hear you, but why would expect any organization to develop user
>> support "Team" outside their venues?
>>
>> They need to keep the groups as a recognized support avenue.

> Why?
>
> Some of us, like Joe, have been doing this for a very long time. We
> feel like sharing our experience with others is a good idea, just like
> others helped us when we were newbies.

> As we do this on our spare time, and at our convenience, it is just
> tough for any organization that wants to count this as their support
> team!
>
> If they want to decide how, where and in what form they want the
> support, they will have to pay for it. I have worked as a support
> person earlier, and got a salary from the one that decided on the how
> and the when.
>
> When I do it for free, I decide. :-)
>

> I, for one, will stay here as long as the news feed is active. If it
> dies, it dies.

Hi Bo,

I think you misread me.

Microsoft has basically made the "hard" decision to move people to the
web-based MS Forums and provided a NNTP bridge to allow you to access
it via NNTP.

Outside the change of storage, the key difference is authentication.
So if you wanted NNTP access, now yo have to login via the bridge.

So, you, joe and others, as a long time MVP, and me, as long time
non-MVP participant who gets more time on his hand, but doesn't want
to be a MVP yet be active when I want to, can still participant via
NNTP but on different storages.

Personally, I think MS should keep the MS NTTP Server with a reduce
set of newsgroups specifically to provide access to USER-SUPPORTED
based contributors, including MVPs and other prolific participants.
But I would of make the NNTP storage part of the MS Forums, single
source it.

But it was made separate 4-5 years ago and finally they decided they
feel they are at a point where the MS forums will be the new storage
and they will not use the old storage any more.

Sites that mirror the old storage will only continue with it iff the
microsoft.* newsgroup hierarchy remains. All indications are
currently showing they want it removed from the usenet listing.

The "Gatekeepers" are saying some of the microsoft.* can be absorbed
by some of the existing comp.* groups.

What is not being understood is this:

Suppose the microsoft.public.vc.mfc group is rmgroup (removed) but
absorbed by lets say

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc

By absorbed, it means that PEOPLE are told that it where MFC support
can be reached by the MVP people.

The question is will the Joe's and Bo's subscribe to this
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc group?

Probably not, maybe you will, but will Microsoft recognize your input
there?

I don't think so.

--
HLS
From: David Ching on
"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> What is not being understood is this:
>
> Suppose the microsoft.public.vc.mfc group is rmgroup (removed) but
> absorbed by lets say
>
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
>
> By absorbed, it means that PEOPLE are told that it where MFC support can
> be reached by the MVP people.
>
> The question is will the Joe's and Bo's subscribe to this
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc group?
>
> Probably not, maybe you will, but will Microsoft recognize your input
> there?
>
> I don't think so.

FWIW, I participated in c.o.m.p.t.m before this microsoft.public one came
into existence. After that, I participated in both until it was evident the
MS one was where all the traffic had gone. The MVP program is about
recognizing contribution of knowledge of MS products in the "community" and
that includes local communities and non-MS supported e-communities. If,
after this newsgroup is closed, c.o.m.p.t.m once again experiences a revival
in traffic, I will go there, as well as participate in the MS MFC forum via
the bridge. It's not an either/or proposition. It's going where I'm needed
and appreciated (by the users, not necessarily by MS).

-- David

From: Hector Santos on
David Ching wrote:

> "Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What is not being understood is this:
>>
>> Suppose the microsoft.public.vc.mfc group is rmgroup (removed) but
>> absorbed by lets say
>>
>> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc
>>
>> By absorbed, it means that PEOPLE are told that it where MFC support
>> can be reached by the MVP people.
>>
>> The question is will the Joe's and Bo's subscribe to this
>> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc group?
>>
>> Probably not, maybe you will, but will Microsoft recognize your input
>> there?
>>
>> I don't think so.
>>

> FWIW, I participated in c.o.m.p.t.m before this microsoft.public one
> came into existence. After that, I participated in both until it was
> evident the MS one was where all the traffic had gone. The MVP program
> is about recognizing contribution of knowledge of MS products in the
> "community" and that includes local communities and non-MS supported
> e-communities. If, after this newsgroup is closed, c.o.m.p.t.m once
> again experiences a revival in traffic, I will go there, as well as
> participate in the MS MFC forum via the bridge. It's not an either/or
> proposition. It's going where I'm needed and appreciated (by the users,
> not necessarily by MS).

Good point. I guess I would add that they were "recognized"
communities or support avenues. e.g. for us, once upon a top, we had
an array of documented support venues,

GO XPRESS <--- the old CompuServe CIS) go group
SILVER_XPRESS <--- Fidonet Echos network wide p2p)
PLATINUM_XPRESS <--- Fidonet Echos (network wide p2p)
PX_NET_XXXXXXX <--- Private Fidonet Echos (customer p2p)
ALT.BBS.WILDCAT <--- the old usenet (pure junk today)
Native Online <--- Dialup: 305-248-7815
Native Online <--- Socket: bbs.winserver.com
EMAIL <--- free + premium direct email
Mailing List <--- list server mailing list
Web Based online <--- http://www.winserver.com
Console Online <--- telnet bbs.winserver.com
Voice Pay Support <--- 20 mins, yearly or packets of time.

Today, we just have from Native Online (Socket) on down and it was
done for the same reasons Microsoft is going thru today, but they had
longer staying power of course. We rely on "Team Xpress" for user
support, I choose them but customers help each other and we come when
no one else answers questions. The $ premium channels is directly to
my support team.

We faced the same issues having too many different ways for support
and we concentrated on a single storage with different connective
methods so that helped but the differences do haunt you. Online
provides more information where OFFLINE does not unless you offer a
native GUI application. Live Mail has specific features only for its
own servers. Not others.

I guess we will have to wait to see how the MS newsgroups will play
out when they are removed. IMV it will be a major disruption because
there is no "mechanical absorption" but one of human contact - people
will need to be made aware of where the "new hangup" is at and as you
can see MS is not doing much in that area other than direct you to the
MS FORUMS. i.e, they are not saying "go to other NNTP hosting sites."

There is never a problem (well less of one) for savvy and technical
people, it is the rest that will have a lost of contact.

Finally, I think most people, MVP or otherwise do want to have a sense
of Microsoft "Sponsored" support. The idea its 3rd party is mostly
only acceptable to highly technical people such as yourself who
understand these different avenues. Most people are not like that and
i am speaking with my customer support hat on.

Anyway, my opinion on the matter.

--
HLS