From: Hector Santos on
Finally, once you login, you have the WEB SERVICE "API" here:

http://services.social.microsoft.com/forumsServicePreview/ForumsService.svc

:)

Its all done. Watch out NNTP BRIDGE people - experts are on the move
now :)

Nahhh, I have no intention of duplicating what they did. It seems to
work fine. I would ask:

- remember the last screen position,
- option to auto go to the system task tray,
- option to auto login, auto startup.
- option to set server IP (not just 127.0.0.1)
- option to use different server port,
some people actually have already their own NNTP server.

Probably some of these already there, but I don't see it.

--

--
HLS
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Wed, 05 May 2010 22:14:46 -0400, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
>
>> Sadly, it appears that the NNTP servers will be shut down, and NNTP will simply not be
>> supported. The problem seems to be that if it isn't invented by Microosft, it doesn't
>> count.
>

>The MS NNTP Bridge is a 3rd party tool. It wasn't developed by
>Microsoft. Go Figure. :)
>
>I think it should be noted that Microsoft is not the only vendor that
>people have to deal with. The main reason for MUAs is that it allows
>one the ability to have one mail reader/write for most, if not all, of
>their communications needs in dealing with technical support issues.
>
>Microsoft is breaking this mode with an exclusive MUA method. The
>bridge is the only redeeming value so all they really need is to
>expose and API - the hell with OPEN STANDARDS if its requires a
>committee, that takes too long and always seems to gets watered down.
****
An Open Standard merely requires disclosure, not comittees.
****

>They just need to dedicate one employee for 2-3 months to write up the
>WEB service/REST/XML specification.
****
And the intelligence to recognize that this is actually an important task to allocate
resources to.
****

>BTW, according to the stats on the equivalent MFC forum, it has a 28%
>response rate (response to no responses), where here I am seeing
>nearly 100%. Go Figure. :)
****
This is because children have their own agendas, which are very self-centered. Never try
to confuse a child with facts. It demonstrates why adult supervision is required for
major changes like this. To be an adult, more than 21 years of experience in the
particular sub-area is required.
joe
****
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Imagine a conversation:

"Hey, guys, we need to make a decision on this. We have 4,000 forums supporting on the
order of 250,000 end users. They use NNTP, and we want to stop supporting that"

"So what? We don't support NNTP any longer, because someone else invented it and it is an
open standard, so screw 'em. Give our new hire the job of creating a Web site to do it.
Everything is done by Web sites, right? Besides, didn't we just send him to that
JavaScript course?"

I may be wrong. But a decision to kill off the NNTP forums sounds like nobody at
Microsoft was in touch with reality. Or, as we often phrase it "their reality-distortion
field was running full force that day".
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I have been in favor of exposing the API since I first heard of this (sorry, I couldn't
say anything sooner, but we were under NDA). My comment was that as soon as they expose
the API, the newsgroup reader industry will be motivated to build code that interfaces to
that API. Leaving the design of the user interface up to a bunch of web amateurs is not a
viable solution (and I said it exactly like that; it is clear that the people who design
Microsoft's Web sites are really a bunch of beginners at this!)

So if the API is exposed, I would push Forte (vendor of my favorite NG reader) into
considering a Microsoft-forum-capable version of Agent, so the silliness of the unusable
Microsoft interface is no longer an issue.

NNTP is merely a transport mechanism to a competently-designed NG reader (or a MUA,
whatever that is!); I don't care if the underlying interface is NNTP or something else, as
long as I can have a decent presentation that looks like it was designed by someone who at
least once HEARD about a newsgroup before doing the design!
joe

From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote:

> I may be wrong. But a decision to kill off the NNTP forums sounds like
> nobody at
> Microsoft was in touch with reality. Or, as we often phrase it "their
> reality-distortion
> field was running full force that day".

I think that they can do money on the web forums thanks to advertising; this
is not possible with NNTP newsgroups.
And on the web forum it is possible to delete posts and threads or move them
around (again, not possible with NNTP).

Giovanni