From: Peter Lind on
On 14 May 2010 09:29, Lester Caine <lester(a)lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> Jagdeep Singh wrote:
>>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only on a
>> PC
>> .
>>
>> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
>> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc
>> with
>> same loginid or another.
>>
>> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> The browser IP address works for us quite reliably. Once logged in, you get
> a message saying already logged on ... and where ... but it does need a
> little help if the user closes the browser without logging out. One needs a
> facility to 'bounce' a user now and again .... however some remote users may
> well have 'floating' IP addresses :(

Don't rely on IP addresses staying the same for a user, it's not safe
in any way and not needed anyway. Karls method is probably the best
bet - just remember to record "last accessed time" so anyone not
accessing for more than 15-20 minutes will succeed if trying to log in
again.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Jagdeep Singh on
Hi,

yes, I can make a databse table to record LOGIN details, But I want that No
other user can login on same machine on smae or another browser.

E.g.

If user1 has logged in from IE then user2 should not login from Firefox or
Chrome etc..

I need ONLY ONE USER ACCESS AT SAME TIME ON SAME MACHINE (On Same or Other
broswers)

Regards

Jagdeep Singh

From: Lester Caine on
Jagdeep Singh wrote:
> Hi,
> yes, I can make a databse table to record LOGIN details, But I want that
> No other user can login on same machine on smae or another browser.
> E.g.
> If user1 has logged in from IE then user2 should not login from Firefox
> or Chrome etc..
> I need ONLY ONE USER ACCESS AT SAME TIME ON SAME MACHINE (On Same or
> Other broswers)

I'm doing almost exactly that on my CMS system. But we have the advantage that
it is intranet, so we can cleanly identify the machines. Once a counter position
is in use no one else can log in to that machine, and while loged in there a
user can't login again. We can't easily add a 'timeout' since some interviews
can take over an hour and the position remains locked for the whole period, but
supervisor access allows a 'stuck user' to be bounced so they can log in again.

If you don't have such control over the machines, then you may need to do a
little more work to build up a list of 'active machines' in parallel with the
'active user' table.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
From: Karl DeSaulniers on
You lost me on that one.

You want it so that multiple users can log in, but they have to be on
separate browsers?

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Hi J,
Well, if you have an active users table with a users name in it and
you check when logging in to see if that users name is in that table,
They can not log in again. No matter what machine or browser they are
in.

As far as another user logging in on that same machine, you could
match a cookie on the machine and the database that holds what
browser they are using and username, an MD5 ip, etc.
But someone can always delete cookies and some even know how to
bounce ip addresses, so unless you have a bunch of hackers using your
machines, these suggestions should work.
Unless someone else has a better suggestion.
GL,

:)

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers