From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Only other thing I could think of is a session timeout.
Because if two people are using the same computer, one person is
going to be away long enough to time out.

HTH

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Richard Quadling on
On 14 May 2010 08:18, Jagdeep Singh <jagsaini1982(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only on a PC
> .
>
> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc with
> same loginid or another.
>
> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which will
> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>
> I hope You will help me out
>

> Regards
>
> Jagdeep Singh
> +91 9988009272

Store the session id against the user table when they login if there
is no session id currently stored for the user.

On all secure pages, compare the current session id against the stored
session id for their login.

If they are the same, then this is the same user in the same session.

At this stage, you can regenerate the session id and store a new one
against the user. Essentially making the session id active for a
single page only.

If the sessions are different you can now either ...

1 -Tell the user that you can only have 1 active login per account and
send them back to the home page (ideally an unsecured page where the
browser won't automatically attempt to login by using remembered
passwords.).
2 - Clear the session against the user table and tag the account so
that all instances can be told that only 1 active account per login.
Essentially logging the other user out - not nice but if multiple
logins are in violation of an agreement, then all suffer. It does
allow a "real" user to know that their details are known if they
didn't attempt the second login.

You also need to incorporate a time out to allow the first login to
automatically expire without needing a logout. If you use the same
timeout as the session timeout, then they will sync, but you will need
to update the DB on each page request.

A logout should clear the sessionid and the expiry info from the user table.

Richard.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 04:26 -0500, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
> >>
> >> The browser IP address works for us quite reliably. Once logged
> >> in, you
> >> get
> >> a message saying already logged on ... and where ... but it does
> >> need a
> >> little help if the user closes the browser without logging out.
> >> One needs
> >> facility to 'bounce' a user now and again .... however some remote
> >> users
> >> may
> >> well have 'floating' IP addresses :(
> >>

> >> Don't rely on IP addresses staying the same for a user, it's not safe
> >> in any way and not needed anyway. Karls method is probably the best
> >> bet - just remember to record "last accessed time" so anyone not
> >> accessing for more than 15-20 minutes will succeed if trying to

Why do you not want a user to be able to log into your system with
another browser on the same machine?

There is no way to grab the MAC address, and using the IP address is, as
others have already mentioned on this thread, unreliable (consider a
dozen employees in an office who will all be using the same external
connection, ergo the same IP)

It seems that a token might be the best method. You can store other
information you get from the user agent if you want to try and pin down
a particular user. Is it really necessary though? I use Firefox in the
main as my browser, but occasionally an update of xul without an update
of Fx will kill Fx, so I'm forced to use another browser temporarily.
Likewise, people who use IE are more susceptible to virii, and the
advice given to IE users is to use another browser such as Fx or Chrome.

What I'm trying to say is that often people will have very legitimate
reasons to be using an alternative browser on the same machine, and you
could be locking them out. Is it absolutely necessary that they be
limited in such a way? What is your need for this?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: "Bob McConnell" on
Web servers can only identify computers, not users. You will need
something else to track which user started a specific application on a
particular computer, probably a fingerprint scanner next to the
keyboard. But that won't prevent someone else from replacing the entity
between the keyboard and the chair after they log in. Plus, it is
unlikely that will be useful in a true multi-user environment. There are
simply too many possible ways to get around your restrictions.

Bob McConnell

From: Floyd Resler on

On May 14, 2010, at 3:18 AM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only on a PC
> .
>
> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc with
> same loginid or another.
>
> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which will
> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>
> I hope You will help me out
>

> Regards
>
> Jagdeep Singh
> +91 9988009272

If you store sessions in a MySQL table you could access that table to see if the user is still logged in and when the last time the session data was updated.

Take care,
Floyd