From: Robert Cummings on
Bob McConnell wrote:
> Web servers can only identify computers, not users. You will need
> something else to track which user started a specific application on a
> particular computer, probably a fingerprint scanner next to the
> keyboard. But that won't prevent someone else from replacing the entity
> between the keyboard and the chair after they log in. Plus, it is
> unlikely that will be useful in a true multi-user environment. There are
> simply too many possible ways to get around your restrictions.

Isn't it simple to associate a single session ID with a username? User
logs in, place username and session ID in active users table and
invalidate any others for same user. When user accesses page check
session ID against entry in active users table. Richard Quadling has it
right. This is not complicated, but it sounds like people are making it
so. The user identified themselves via login.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Andrew Ballard on
On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Jagdeep Singh <jagsaini1982(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only on a PC
> .
>
> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc with
> same loginid or another.
>
> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which will
> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>
> I hope You will help me out
>

> Regards
>
> Jagdeep Singh

I usually store the sessions in a database table that includes a
column for the user identity (username, e-mail address, etc.) and then
simply log out any previous "active" sessions any time a new session
logs in by deleting (or marking inactive) any rows for the same
identity whose session_id does not match the current session_id. That
ensures that users can have no more than one active session at a time.

Andrew
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Robert Cummings

> Bob McConnell wrote:
>> Web servers can only identify computers, not users. You will need
>> something else to track which user started a specific application on
>> particular computer, probably a fingerprint scanner next to the
>> keyboard. But that won't prevent someone else from replacing the
entity
>> between the keyboard and the chair after they log in. Plus, it is
>> unlikely that will be useful in a true multi-user environment. There
are
>> simply too many possible ways to get around your restrictions.
>
> Isn't it simple to associate a single session ID with a username? User

> logs in, place username and session ID in active users table and
> invalidate any others for same user. When user accesses page check
> session ID against entry in active users table. Richard Quadling has
it
> right. This is not complicated, but it sounds like people are making
it
> so. The user identified themselves via login.

From the series of questions he asked, it was not clear to me what he
was trying to do. It sounded like he wanted to allow a user to access a
single session simultaneously via multiple browsers, yet not allow
another person to hijack that session even if both were using the same
computer. Somehow I don't think all of that is a reasonable requirement.

Actually, I believe that linking a session to a specific individual
without reading a biometric key with every http request is an
unacceptable risk. And no, I don't do any banking online.

Bob McConnell
From: Richard Quadling on
On 14 May 2010 14:47, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
> Actually, I believe that linking a session to a specific individual
> without reading a biometric key with every http request is an
> unacceptable risk. And no, I don't do any banking online.
>
> Bob McConnell

That's why my bank has supplied me with a little card reader for my
bank card, into which I put my pin number.

So they know it is me because of something I have (my card and card
reader) and something I know (my pin number).

This is pretty similar to the system we use for our online BACS transactions.

And yes, I do online banking.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: "Bob McConnell" on
From: Richard Quadling

>On 14 May 2010 14:47, Bob McConnell <rvm(a)cbord.com> wrote:
>> Actually, I believe that linking a session to a specific individual
>> without reading a biometric key with every http request is an
>> unacceptable risk. And no, I don't do any banking online.
>
> That's why my bank has supplied me with a little card reader for my
> bank card, into which I put my pin number.
>
> So they know it is me because of something I have (my card and card
> reader) and something I know (my pin number).
>
> This is pretty similar to the system we use for our online BACS
transactions.

> And yes, I do online banking.

That only verifies that it was probably you that initially logged in.
There is nothing to prevent someone else from knocking you out and using
the session once you have completed that step, or hijacking it after you
are done. There are any number of ways to intercept your traffic, such
as a poisoned DNS server misdirecting your browser through a man in the
middle.

Even without that, how long would it take someone else to 'discover'
your four digit PIN number if they wanted to? Probably less than an hour
with only 9999 possible variations. That's nowhere near safe enough for
me.

Bob McConnell