From: Nathan Rixham on
Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

can't be done I'm afraid, no matter how hard you look - there is
*always* a way around it.

only thing you can do is in certain situations ensure that whatever
important 'act' is carried out is limited to a fixed person with some
personally identifiable data; for instance requiring an address and
passport / driving license number for airplane ticket deliver and so forth.

To illustrate, before me now on my 'single' machine, I have the primary
OS, and two more running in virtual box's; each one has several
browsers; and to compound matters I'm hooked up to 2 different networks;
and on one of those I can change IP whenever I want. Perhaps only deep
packet inspection shared between the different ISPs I use and some kind
of knowledge on their part between who in the household is using which
machine to do what @ each certain time.

Good luck though :)

Nathan
From: Nathan Rixham on
quick confirm: flash won't help you here (nor java, ajax,
virtualisation, client side programs, ip filtering, browser detection) -
it's not possible I'm afraid; best you can do is limit with personally
identifiable information and trust that users won't be sharing an
account which has sensitive data in it.

I seem to have missed it; but why exactly don't you want a client
'logged in' multiple times (at the same time)? perhaps if you give us
the root of the problem instead of how to do the solution you've chosen,
we can be of more help :)

Best,

Nathan

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Hi Nathan,
The problem is not mine to speak of necessarily. I was trying to help
find a solution for another.
But from what I understand, they have a online lesson that they dont
want people to be able to log in as another user and get the answers to.

Here is the their post.

On May 14, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login
> only on a PC
> .
>
> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet
> explorer,
> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox
> etc with
> same loginid or another.
>
> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which
> will
> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>
> I hope You will help me out
>

> Regards
>
> Jagdeep Singh
> +91 9988009272

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Nathan Rixham on
Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
> The problem is not mine to speak of necessarily. I was trying to help
> find a solution for another.
> But from what I understand, they have a online lesson that they dont
> want people to be able to log in as another user and get the answers to.
>
> Here is the their post.
>
> On May 14, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only
>> on a PC
>> .
>>
>> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
>> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc
>> with
>> same loginid or another.
>>
>> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>>
>> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which will
>> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>>
>> I hope You will help me out

cool; only effective way i can see is to produce a unique (one time)
hash in response to every request, and submit that with the answer; that
way it's unique to every interaction. And only allow the test to be
taken by a specific login once (ie if they've started it, they can't
start again)

But doesn't effectively stop anything because they could have 2 user
accounts, and all the previous matters.

you can make it more difficult, can't prevent it.

as far as I know anyway!

Best,

Nathan
From: Karl DeSaulniers on
I was given a solution, or a work-around. You will have to use flash,
but,
you can set up a LocalConnection class that determines if the swf is
being run on the same system and if it is boot one.
You have the LocalConnection class send out a message to itself and
if it answers itself, then there are two running.
Otherwise only that one is running. Sort of hackish, but would
probably do the trick.

HTH

Karl

On May 23, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
> The problem is not mine to speak of necessarily. I was trying to
> help find a solution for another.
> But from what I understand, they have a online lesson that they
> dont want people to be able to log in as another user and get the
> answers to.
>
> Here is the their post.
>
> On May 14, 2010, at 2:18 AM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:
>
>> Hi All!
>>
>> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login
>> only on a PC
>> .
>>
>> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet
>> explorer,
>> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox
>> etc with
>> same loginid or another.
>>
>> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>>
>> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie
>> which will
>> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>>
>> I hope You will help me out
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Jagdeep Singh
>> +91 9988009272