From: Robert Cummings on
Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> I see exactly the issue you have now, and there's no way round it. You
> can't identify a single machine in the way you want.
>
> Maybe you could restrict access to test answer materials to a user who
> is logged in, and then lock them out when a test is in progress for
> their username. That way, you don't have to identify a machine at all
> (what's to stop someone from opening up a laptop next to their main
> computer to circumvent your 'security' anyway?) and the only way they
> can access both course materials and the test is with two sets of login
> credentials.

Just to follow-up... even if one could identify the machine, someone out
there would open up a virtual machine :)

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com
From: Nathan Nobbe on
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Robert Cummings <robert(a)interjinn.com>wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
>> I see exactly the issue you have now, and there's no way round it. You
>> can't identify a single machine in the way you want.
>>
>> Maybe you could restrict access to test answer materials to a user who
>> is logged in, and then lock them out when a test is in progress for
>> their username. That way, you don't have to identify a machine at all
>> (what's to stop someone from opening up a laptop next to their main
>> computer to circumvent your 'security' anyway?) and the only way they
>> can access both course materials and the test is with two sets of login
>> credentials.
>>

> Just to follow-up... even if one could identify the machine, someone out
> there would open up a virtual machine :)

or add a second nic .., or a virtual nic, which doesnt even require
additional hardware ;)

-nathan
From: Gautam Bhatia on
On Friday 14 May 2010 12:48 PM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login only on a PC
> .
>
> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet explorer,
> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox etc with
> same loginid or another.
>
> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>
> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which will
> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>
> I hope You will help me out
>

> Regards
>
> Jagdeep Singh
> +91 9988009272

hi Jagdeep,
I am not really sure , i got your question right but
there is something you can try if this helps, in the mysql dbase add
field like "loggedIn" , which can be true/false, when person logs in
change it to true , so even if the person is using other browser, you
can check the value from dbase, if user is already logged in or not. If
that makes sense to you , good luck.

regards,
Gautam Bhatia
From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Yeah. Don't be concerned about which browser. Just set up an active
users table in your database that gets checked at login. Then it
doesn't matter which machine or browser. Unless you know that the
computers are giving the true ip, there is no way to keep a user from
logging in with two account on the same computer. Otherwise add the
active users ip to the active users table and check it as well on login

Easy peasey

Karl

Sent from losPhone

From: Robert Cummings on
This was beaten to death last week. The solution is not possible because
it's not about restricting a single user from logging over multiple
machines, it about restricting a single computer to only one session (so
running IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari on same computer with different users
would not be allowed).

Cheers,
Rob.

Karl DeSaulniers wrote:
> Yeah. Don't be concerned about which browser. Just set up an active
> users table in your database that gets checked at login. Then it
> doesn't matter which machine or browser. Unless you know that the
> computers are giving the true ip, there is no way to keep a user from
> logging in with two account on the same computer. Otherwise add the
> active users ip to the active users table and check it as well on login
>
> Easy peasey
>
> Karl
>
> Sent from losPhone
>
> On May 22, 2010, at 12:34 AM, Gautam Bhatia
> <mail2gautambhatia(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday 14 May 2010 12:48 PM, Jagdeep Singh wrote:
>>> Hi All!
>>>
>>> I am looking for a solution, I want a user to do a single Login
>>> only on a PC
>>> .
>>>
>>> E.g. If a User has logged on my website website.com in Internet
>>> explorer,
>>> then he cant login on same website in another browser like Firefox
>>> etc with
>>> same loginid or another.
>>>
>>> Can I trace MAC address of a single machine to solve this issue?
>>>
>>> Or is there a concept of GLOBAL COOKIE / Cross Browser Cookie which
>>> will
>>> work for all browsers in a single machine..
>>>
>>> I hope You will help me out
>>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Jagdeep Singh
>>> +91 9988009272
>>>

>> hi Jagdeep,
>> I am not really sure , i got your question right but
>> there is something you can try if this helps, in the mysql dbase add
>> field like "loggedIn" , which can be true/false, when person logs in
>> change it to true , so even if the person is using other browser, you
>> can check the value from dbase, if user is already logged in or not.
>> If
>> that makes sense to you , good luck.
>>
>> regards,
>> Gautam Bhatia
>>
>> --

E-Mail Disclaimer: Information contained in this message and any
attached documents is considered confidential and legally protected.
This message is intended solely for the addressee(s). Disclosure,
copying, and distribution are prohibited unless authorized.