From: George Gleason on

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" <mweissX294(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> > I highly doubt the 20 Hz component of that test was above 124dB with
> that
>> > gear. Conventional drivers like that have more distortion than
> fundamental
>> > output when driven below Fc.
>> >
>> > For some real output below 20Hz, check this out:
>> >
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rJSZKZsyQ
>> >
>> the test was done to simulate something a club goer would encounter
>> they had 150 some dB at 20 and like 120 something at 8 or 9 cycles
>> I don't remember the exact details as that was mot\re than a month ago
>> and
>> didn't take notes in case this came up again
>> I am sure it will be repeated as TV often does,you can see it then
>> George
>>

> Mythbusters is hardly scientific, especially in the area of technical
> matters like this. The 150dB was probably all distortion harmonics from
> 40-2000Hz. Conventional drivers used in PA equipment like that shown in
> that
> episode are not designed to produce anything useful below 45Hz and even at
> that frequency are about 10dB down from their rated SPL frequency. I'll
> believe it when I see an earthquake triggered by the experiment. But until
> then...

the test was run by John Meyer
I feel he knows how to draw what was required from his rig
this was not just a bunch of clowns playing with some random subs
george

From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on
> > Mythbusters is hardly scientific, especially in the area of technical
> > matters like this. The 150dB was probably all distortion harmonics from
> > 40-2000Hz. Conventional drivers used in PA equipment like that shown in
> > that
> > episode are not designed to produce anything useful below 45Hz and even
at
> > that frequency are about 10dB down from their rated SPL frequency. I'll
> > believe it when I see an earthquake triggered by the experiment. But
until
> > then...
> >

> the test was run by John Meyer
> I feel he knows how to draw what was required from his rig
> this was not just a bunch of clowns playing with some random subs
> george

More like he knows what's required to make a good marketing stunt.
The drivers in his subs couldn't do a linear 3" stroke if they tried. To
produce significant SPL down below 10Hz, each driver would have to displace
1000 cu in or more, and totally linear. Those drivers probably have an Xmax
of 6.4 mm and the suspension is probably terribly nonlinear after 1/2" of
travel. Sorry, that doesn't work.

From: hank alrich on
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss <mweissX294(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> > > Mythbusters is hardly scientific, especially in the area of technical
> > > matters like this. The 150dB was probably all distortion harmonics from
> > > 40-2000Hz. Conventional drivers used in PA equipment like that shown in
> > > that
> > > episode are not designed to produce anything useful below 45Hz and even
> at
> > > that frequency are about 10dB down from their rated SPL frequency. I'll
> > > believe it when I see an earthquake triggered by the experiment. But
> until
> > > then...
> > >

> > the test was run by John Meyer
> > I feel he knows how to draw what was required from his rig
> > this was not just a bunch of clowns playing with some random subs
> > george
>
> More like he knows what's required to make a good marketing stunt.
> The drivers in his subs couldn't do a linear 3" stroke if they tried. To
> produce significant SPL down below 10Hz, each driver would have to displace
> 1000 cu in or more, and totally linear. Those drivers probably have an Xmax
> of 6.4 mm and the suspension is probably terribly nonlinear after 1/2" of
> travel. Sorry, that doesn't work.

Call John and ask for some information, arrange a demo. Go and compare
your measurements to his. Then we can find out who's full of the brown
stuff.

--
ha
From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on

> > More like he knows what's required to make a good marketing stunt.
> > The drivers in his subs couldn't do a linear 3" stroke if they tried. To
> > produce significant SPL down below 10Hz, each driver would have to
displace
> > 1000 cu in or more, and totally linear. Those drivers probably have an
Xmax
> > of 6.4 mm and the suspension is probably terribly nonlinear after 1/2"
of
> > travel. Sorry, that doesn't work.
>
> Call John and ask for some information, arrange a demo. Go and compare
> your measurements to his. Then we can find out who's full of the brown
> stuff.
>
> --
> ha

You might be working for Meyer, or profiting from their sales, right? Lemme
guess, you're a dealer?

I read the specs for the cabinets right on his web site. I'm familiar with
those drivers too. They are not subwoofers. Those are mid-bass drivers.

From: Earl Grey on
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:

> No. I'm suggesting that the SPLs he measured were the product of high levels
> of THD when the woofers exceeded their Xmax to produce a reading on a meter.

Do you think their instruments are incapable of accurate measurement ?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Mixer amp choice
Next: Mackie SR1532z