From: George Gleason on

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" <mweissX294(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> They are large enough that you start distributing the source. over a
>> large
>> area. IME, it takes focus to pull this trick off, and that means a
>> long-stroke driver. I also seem to recall that the Mythbusters demo was
>> done outdoors, which is a tough row to hoe for serious bass.
>>
>> http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm
>>
>> "The test sessions were conducted in a large parking lot at Golden Gate
>> Fields racetrack, on the shores of San Francisco Bay."
>>

> I'm willing to bet that when David Lee (Bassmaxx), Tom Danley (Danley
> Sound
> Labs) and Carlos Beltran (Accoupower) get together at their subwoofer
> shootouts (usually held outdoors at racetracks), they produce a good deal
> more low frequency SPLs than this joke of a TV publicity stunt did. It's
> about QUALITY of sound, not QUANTITY of woofers. The afore-mentioned guys
> make woofers not only for SR, but also for noise cancellation at nuke
> plants
> and other noisy industrial facilities. These woofers have to run 150dB
> output levels 24/7 without failure and the noise they have to cancel spans
> from audible to infrasonic.
> Real infrasound causes men to buckle and fall face down in their own
> vomit.
> This other stuff was a joke.

you seem very confused
this is not about industrial facilities or noise cancelling
it is about a disco system, a entertainment system that might reasonably be
found in a club, producing the brown effect
it was clearly shown that this is not going to happen
if you want to call up mythbusters and have them do a follow up about noise
canceling and industrial facilities your free to do so
george

From: Chad Wahls on

"Mark & Mary Ann Weiss" <mweissX294(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> They are large enough that you start distributing the source. over a
>> large
>> area. IME, it takes focus to pull this trick off, and that means a
>> long-stroke driver. I also seem to recall that the Mythbusters demo was
>> done outdoors, which is a tough row to hoe for serious bass.
>>
>> http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm
>>
>> "The test sessions were conducted in a large parking lot at Golden Gate
>> Fields racetrack, on the shores of San Francisco Bay."
>>

> I'm willing to bet that when David Lee (Bassmaxx), Tom Danley (Danley
> Sound
> Labs) and Carlos Beltran (Accoupower) get together at their subwoofer
> shootouts (usually held outdoors at racetracks), they produce a good deal
> more low frequency SPLs than this joke of a TV publicity stunt did. It's
> about QUALITY of sound, not QUANTITY of woofers. The afore-mentioned guys
> make woofers not only for SR, but also for noise cancellation at nuke
> plants
> and other noisy industrial facilities. These woofers have to run 150dB
> output levels 24/7 without failure and the noise they have to cancel spans
> from audible to infrasonic.
> Real infrasound causes men to buckle and fall face down in their own
> vomit.
> This other stuff was a joke.

Nuke plant as in power generation? I woud think that nuke would be rather
quiet. The one I used to be around was VERY quiet.

BTW I checked out your site... For QUALITY of sound..... How does that
suspended ceiling add to the quality of sound?. How do you keep the tiles
in place if it is in fact that loud?

Chad

From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on

> Nuke plant as in power generation? I woud think that nuke would be rather
> quiet. The one I used to be around was VERY quiet.

Perhaps because of noise cancellation technology?

> BTW I checked out your site... For QUALITY of sound..... How does that
> suspended ceiling add to the quality of sound?. How do you keep the tiles
> in place if it is in fact that loud?
>
> Chad

It took a few years to rig things so that the ceiling tiled didn't get
sucked through the frame and drop to the floor. I still have one drop now
and then, but only under extreme conditions.
There is 24" of fiberglass insulation above those tiles. The weight and
compression pressure of the fiberglass helps to keep the tiles in place. I
tried to minimize the negative impact of the tiles on the sound. The studio
is LEDE. The array is at the 'dead' end of the studio.
The tiles in the corners of the room are removed to prevent pressure from
building on one side of the tiles. I somewhat accidentally found out that
this solved my tile suck out problem by empiracle means. I was doing some
plumbing work and left a couple of tiles out; the next time I ran the system
at large amplitude, I found that the rest of the tiles were staying in
place. So I left the corner tiles out, letting them act as a safety vent.
But indeed, they do make noises, as does the whole rest of the building. You
can hear those noises in the 16Hz test video that I published on YouTube.

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION ? FILM SCANNING ? DVD MASTERING ? AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
Business sites at:
www.primericabusinessopportunity.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on

> you seem very confused
> this is not about industrial facilities or noise cancelling
> it is about a disco system, a entertainment system that might reasonably
be
> found in a club, producing the brown effect
> it was clearly shown that this is not going to happen
> if you want to call up mythbusters and have them do a follow up about
noise
> canceling and industrial facilities your free to do so
> george

George,

It seems that the talk of high SPLs at infrasonic frequencies pushed this
'test' well outside the realm of disco sound systems. Why mention 9Hz at
all, unless you're going to seriously play in that field?

From: Chad Wahls on

>> Nuke plant as in power generation? I woud think that nuke would be
>> rather
>> quiet. The one I used to be around was VERY quiet.
>
> Perhaps because of noise cancellation technology?

Doubt it. In the early 80's the nuke plant in my area was still darn
quiet... Long before DSP based noise cancellation. In fact I talk to a cat
that works there every day on the commute to and from work.. I'll ask him.

Chad

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Mixer amp choice