From: JohnO on

> I read the specs for the cabinets right on his web site. I'm familiar with
> those drivers too. They are not subwoofers. Those are mid-bass drivers.

What happens to those specs when you stack six of the systems together?

(I'm genuinely curious about that...)

-John O

From: George Gleason on

"JohnO" <t696asm(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I read the specs for the cabinets right on his web site.
is it "possible" that John can get his product to exceed to published specs
, after all he is about the most respected builder of pro level loudspeakers
in the world

also the point was not to find some rocket engine that could possibly cause
'the dump" but rather to prove if or if now a sound system in a disco could
produce the disco dump
the answer is clearly NO.
george

From: Arny Krueger on
"JohnO" <t696asm(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I read the specs for the cabinets right on his web site.
>> I'm familiar with those drivers too. They are not
>> subwoofers. Those are mid-bass drivers.

Agreed. What passes for subwoofers in SR is not the same as what it takes to
be a serious subwoofer for most other kinds of audio. SR tends to be more
about efficiency. Commercial long-stroke woofers tend towards the 90 dB/w
region, not the 100 or so we expect of SR products. Most serious subwoofing
starts life at 30-40 and goes down. Most SR subwoofers are starting to
roll-off at 30-40.

> What happens to those specs when you stack six of the
> systems together?

They are large enough that you start distributing the source. over a large
area. IME, it takes focus to pull this trick off, and that means a
long-stroke driver. I also seem to recall that the Mythbusters demo was
done outdoors, which is a tough row to hoe for serious bass.

http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm

"The test sessions were conducted in a large parking lot at Golden Gate
Fields racetrack, on the shores of San Francisco Bay."

From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on

"Earl Grey" <eg(a)t.pot> wrote in message news:454f0432$1(a)clear.net.nz...
> Mark & Mary Ann Weiss wrote:
>

> > No. I'm suggesting that the SPLs he measured were the product of high
levels
> > of THD when the woofers exceeded their Xmax to produce a reading on a
meter.

> Do you think their instruments are incapable of accurate measurement ?

No. I think their expressed interpretation of the data distorts the facts
for commercial gain.

From: Mark & Mary Ann Weiss on

> They are large enough that you start distributing the source. over a large
> area. IME, it takes focus to pull this trick off, and that means a
> long-stroke driver. I also seem to recall that the Mythbusters demo was
> done outdoors, which is a tough row to hoe for serious bass.
>
> http://www.meyersound.com.au/brownnote.shtm
>
> "The test sessions were conducted in a large parking lot at Golden Gate
> Fields racetrack, on the shores of San Francisco Bay."

I'm willing to bet that when David Lee (Bassmaxx), Tom Danley (Danley Sound
Labs) and Carlos Beltran (Accoupower) get together at their subwoofer
shootouts (usually held outdoors at racetracks), they produce a good deal
more low frequency SPLs than this joke of a TV publicity stunt did. It's
about QUALITY of sound, not QUANTITY of woofers. The afore-mentioned guys
make woofers not only for SR, but also for noise cancellation at nuke plants
and other noisy industrial facilities. These woofers have to run 150dB
output levels 24/7 without failure and the noise they have to cancel spans
from audible to infrasonic.
Real infrasound causes men to buckle and fall face down in their own vomit.
This other stuff was a joke.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Mixer amp choice