From: " Stevelee" <" on

Satoshi wrote:

>>You will change your mind about 3rd party inks. My printer is a Pixma
>>ip8500. I have
>>no reason to lie about it if the ink doesn't work. The printer is 6 months
>>old already.
>>Not a single problem for almost 6 months in using the 3rd party ink
>>supply. I still
>

> I have a question for Stevelee,
>
> It seems that you are very happy with i8500. I am considering buying this
> one for home use.
> Before doing that, I have a question on its inks. What kind of inks does
> that printer use: BCI6 and/or BCI3e?
> If i8500 used these inks, my job for buying inks could be simpler and
> easier. TIA. Satoshi

Canon ip8500 uses 8 BCI-6 ink cartridges. In addition to BK,C,M,Y,PC,PM there
are Red and Green cartridges added to this printer. The result of the additional
red and green ink it prints better green and red colors then printers like i9100
i960. Green and red colors were printed by using CMY inks before. Now they are
printed directly by green and red inks. In a more technical term the printer
gives a wider "gamut" in printing colors.

Ip8500 is an excellent printer. It has a much improved print head which in my opinion
is much less likely to be clogged when using 3rd party refill inks. I have used mine
with 3rd party bulk refill ink for over 6 months now. I have not had a single clog
yet. What I like a lot about this printer is its duplex printing. I can start a print
job to print on both sides of the paper and walk away. When I return sometime later
a nicely printed pile of double sided document is done.

But this printer is not cheap. Canon wants to collect more money from this printer
by making it more friendly to 3rd party inks in my opinion. I am in the 2nd set of
bulk ink of 4 ounces of each color. Imagine how much money I saved from the ink.
The saved money could buy me another ip8500 easily.
From: " Stevelee" <" on

Satoshi wrote:

> I will go out today to Costco. I will buy and try it. I will let you
> know.
>
> Satoshi
>

> "measekite" <inkystinky(a)oem.com> wrote in message
>
>>Now try Costco/Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper and compare your results
>>against
>>Canon Photo Paper Pro. Use the Canon Photo Paper Pro setting for both
>>papers.

When printing on Kirkland Professional Glossy Photopaper with Canon Photopaper Pro
setup you are telling the printer driver to use Canon's ICC profile for Canon's
Photopaper Pro for the print job. This will print fine but it is really not the
best setup for the Kirkland paper. The vendor (believed to be Ilford) does not provide
an ICC profile for this paper. Based on my own experiment another way to print on this
paper is to select plain paper (yes, you read it right), then choose custom from Print
Quality manual. Set the quality to fine with diffusion for halftoning. Then in the Color
Adjustment manual make color adjustment if you find it necessary. I sometimes increase
the intensity from 5 to 10%. The result is simply beautiful. I really think the kirkland
paper renders better pictures than Canon's Photopaper Pro, especially in terms of colors.
I am using a 3rd party bulk ink so if you use Canon ink you may disagree with me. There
is a major difference between Canon and Kirkland paper. Canon's Photopaper Pro (as well
as its Photopaper plus) is resin coated paper. You can dip the photo in water and the
ink will not smear. If you dip kirkland paper in water the image will smear a little.
But other than that Kirkland paper is simply better in my opinion.

From: Burt on
Steve Lee - with my Canon i960 and Kirkland paper I have found the glossy
photo paper setting to be better than the Pro setting. The two settings for
the more expensive paper gave oversaturated prints in my estimation. Even
for photo paper pro, that setting gave more saturated prints which I didn't
like.

From: " Stevelee" <" on

measekite wrote:

> Stevelee wrote:
>
>> Why should people print Costco/Kirkland paper with Canon Paper Pro
>> setting?
>
> Because that is one of the choices in the Costco/Kirkland instruction
> sheet. Any more questions?

Just looked at the Kirkland instruction sheet. It listed i990 and i965 Canon
printers. But There are no such printers. There is no list of i9900/i9950
nor ip8500. In fact there is no Pixma printers listed.

I suggest to consider the instruction sheet not accurate. I agree you can
print on Kirkland paper with Canon Photopaper Pro setting. But it can be
understood as not an optimal setting.
From: " Stevelee" <" on

Burt wrote:

> Steve Lee - with my Canon i960 and Kirkland paper I have found the glossy
> photo paper setting to be better than the Pro setting. The two settings for
> the more expensive paper gave oversaturated prints in my estimation. Even
> for photo paper pro, that setting gave more saturated prints which I didn't
> like.

The glossy photo paper setting is a more generic setting for a lot of glossy photo paper.
It may be a better one for the kirkland paper. Photopaper Pro is really specifically
set for Canon's own paper. It may work well for some paper but it seems not the case.