First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Why I can't use if(defined $var)?
I'm puzzled why I can not use the first line below. Would you please let me know how write it such that the if clause is at the beginning rather than at the end. if(defined $opt_o) print "$opt_o\n"; print "$opt_o\n" if defined $opt_o; Regards, Peng ... 20 May 2010 21:35
FAQ 8.5 How do I read just one key without waiting for a return key?
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . --------... 20 May 2010 18:18
Where to get the document for a library function in command line (linux)?
I'm not sure where to get the help page for a perl library function (such as getops from Getopt::Std) from linux command line. Maybe this is described in man perl. But I may overlook it. Would you please let me know how to do it? P.S. I could use webpage documentation. But I prefer command line help. Regards,... 22 May 2010 11:37
Efficiently searching multiple files
I have a Linux directory full of shell scripts (~100 scripts with average size of ~60 lines) with many of them calling other scripts as depencencies. Not being the author of the scripts and with the immediate need to become familiar with the overall scope of this script directory, I needed to create a cross- r... 21 May 2010 20:32
FAQ 4.74 How do I print out or copy a recursive data structure?
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . --------... 20 May 2010 12:45
getting results of multiple simultaneous system commands
I need to execute multiple simultaneous system() statements. I originally did this using perl threads each invoking a system cmd, waiting for them to be joinable, then harvesting the return status with join(). The system commands are well behaved in that they will finish eventually (have built in time limits). U... 22 May 2010 09:25
How to avoid zombies?
Hi! I have inherited a server application which was moved to Linux a couple of weeks ago. Now we see a lot of defunct processes in the process list. Essentially we spawn a new thread for each client. communicate "talks" a while with it and closes the connection afterwards. As it seems, the spawned processes end... 22 May 2010 09:25
How do I check if www site has Perl compatible?
Is there a way to check if a www site is Perl compatible without username & password? I sometimes get request to do some small perl problem on a www page but the owner does not know if their www has perl. ... 20 May 2010 21:35
FAQ 5.38 Why does Perl let me delete read-only files? Why does "-i" clobber protected files? Isn't this a bug in Perl?
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . --------... 19 May 2010 19:21
FAQ 5.39 How do I select a random line from a file?
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . --------... 19 May 2010 12:39