From: Anssi Saari on
"Joe Forster/STA" <sta(a)c64.org> writes:

> With HVSC 5.0 and Rockbox 3.3 on my old iRiver iHP-140, I've listened
> to:

Well, OK, clearly it warrants another look. I tried a few songs, I had
Rob Hubbard's directory from HVSC on the device (Cowon iaudio M5).
Thing on a Spring and Thrust sounded fine and a couple more, but then
the SID player just quit. It pretends to play, but no sound comes
out... MP3s would still play at that point.

So I guess my initial assesment was a little hasty and Rockbox's SID
emulation might be just fine. I'll have to update to current Rockbox
and do some more testing...

> Yes, it may not be a HardSID...

Now *that* would be the coolest, a portable HardSID! Maybe the
originator of this thread might consider that as an option?
From: A. Hornbridge on
Clocky <notgonn(a)happen.com> schrieb:
> Maybe I am missing the point, but wouldn't it be much easier to grab an MP3
> recorded from a real C64 from SOASC and put it on a portable MP3 player?

Would it not be easier to buy the stick device and copy a SID file to it?

What size is the whole HVSC in .mp3 compared to .SID?

OTOH how about a drop in replacement device like swinSID, but better?
There might be some demand from midibox users, perhaps?

From: Clocky on

"A. Hornbridge" <ahorbridge(a)yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
> Clocky <notgonn(a)happen.com> schrieb:
>> Maybe I am missing the point, but wouldn't it be much easier to grab an
>> MP3
>> recorded from a real C64 from SOASC and put it on a portable MP3 player?
>
> Would it not be easier to buy the stick device and copy a SID file to it?

Not really, because a MP3 player can play your other favourite music as
well.

> What size is the whole HVSC in .mp3 compared to .SID?

I don't know, but most people already have an MP3 capable device that can
store GB's of MP3's, or can purchase them for very little money these days.

> OTOH how about a drop in replacement device like swinSID, but better?
> There might be some demand from midibox users, perhaps?

I would buy a drop-in SID replacement for my own C64, so I don't risk the
real SID.

From: iAN CooG on
A. Hornbridge <ahorbridge(a)yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> What size is the whole HVSC in .mp3 compared to .SID?

Current HVSC#52beta (due in Xmas) is 212294528 bytes, 37657files

Any mp3 song encoded at 128kbps is about 1mb/minute, sids can vary from 30
seconds to several minutes (even 10/12), let's say an average of 4 mins, but
then there are thousands of sids with several subtunes each. Do your maths
but I bet more than 200 Gigabytes.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
RAM DISK is NOT an installation procedure!

From: Clocky on

"iAN CooG" <GETianRIDcoog(a)OFemailME.it.invalid> wrote in message
> A. Hornbridge <ahorbridge(a)yahoo.co.in> wrote:
>
>> What size is the whole HVSC in .mp3 compared to .SID?
>
> Current HVSC#52beta (due in Xmas) is 212294528 bytes, 37657files
>
> Any mp3 song encoded at 128kbps is about 1mb/minute, sids can vary from 30
> seconds to several minutes (even 10/12), let's say an average of 4 mins,
> but
> then there are thousands of sids with several subtunes each. Do your maths
> but I bet more than 200 Gigabytes.

So if you spent 8 hours a day every day listening to SID's it would take the
best part of year to listen to them all... that would take one dedicated SID
listener ;-)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: PS/2 Mouse support on C64 and VIC20
Next: 64'er DOS