From: Groepaz on
Becky wrote:

>> MUSICIANS\D\Dunn_David\Flight_Path_737.sid (6581)
>> MUSICIANS\R\Radiantx\Into_the_Chambers_of_Dracu.sid (8580)
>>
>> As far as I know both require particularly accurate SID emulation for
>> correct sound.
>
> Thanks.. I'll see if I can get the author of the software emulator to
> capture these as my method really doesn't do it justice.

so, did anything come out of this?

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

A man without religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

From: Andreas Varga on
On 2010-01-13 02:11:08 +0100, Groepaz <groepaz(a)gmx.net> said:

> Becky wrote:
>

>>> MUSICIANS\D\Dunn_David\Flight_Path_737.sid (6581)
>>> MUSICIANS\R\Radiantx\Into_the_Chambers_of_Dracu.sid (8580)
>>>
>>> As far as I know both require particularly accurate SID emulation for
>>> correct sound.
>>
>> Thanks.. I'll see if I can get the author of the software emulator to
>> capture these as my method really doesn't do it justice.
>
> so, did anything come out of this?

It's obviously a very simple emulation, as the author hasn't even read the most
obvious SID documentation available.
The SID's sawtooth wave counts up, not down. So this emulation is not based
on the actual phase accumulator design of the SID.
This means that you'll get acceptable results on old tunes, but
anything slightly
more advanced will break and sound horrible.

I'd really like to hear some of those:
/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/Mr_Marvellous.sid (8580, good test for combined
waveforms, sync and ringmod)
/MUSICIANS/M/Mitch_and_Dane/Dane/Pseudocode.sid (8580, will break if
timing is not 100% correct)
/MUSICIANS/F/Fanta/Fanta_in_Space.sid (8580, needs correct phase
accumulator emulation for 8bit sample playback)
/MUSICIANS/D/DRAX/Break-up.sid (6581, nice test of filter distortion)

I doubt that it can emulate those SIDs with acceptable results.
So you're probably much better off right now using MP3 files, because
what good is it to have the whole HVSC
available, if the good tunes don't play correctly?

Cheers,
Andreas

From: Oldbitcollector on

> I doubt that it can emulate those SIDs with acceptable results.
> So you're probably much better off right now using MP3 files, because
> what good is it to have the whole HVSC
> available, if the good tunes don't play correctly?

I haven't had a chance to play with the latest requests. (They are on
my TODO list!)
however I can tell you that we aren't up to the level of playing SIDs
with samples yet.

We do have the kit finished and it is online at:
http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=236
It's an easy assemble kit for someone with basic soldering skills.
For instance the resistors are all the
same value, and the PCD is well labeled.

I'd love to hear honest reviews for anyone who builds one.

Thanks!
OBC
From: Groepaz on
Oldbitcollector wrote:

> We do have the kit finished and it is online at:
> http://www.gadgetgangster.com/find-a-project/56?projectnum=236
> It's an easy assemble kit for someone with basic soldering skills.
> For instance the resistors are all the
> same value, and the PCD is well labeled.
>
> I'd love to hear honest reviews for anyone who builds one.

and i'd seriously expect to hear some of the mentioned tunes before i'd even
remotely think about plugging in my soldering iron :o)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Programming is one of the most difficult branches of applied mathematics;
the poorer mathematicians had better remain pure mathematicians.
<Edsgar W. Dijkstra>

From: Oldbitcollector on
> > I'd love to hear honest reviews for anyone who builds one.
>
> and i'd seriously expect to hear some of the mentioned tunes before i'd even
> remotely think about plugging in my soldering iron :o)

Sorry, you guys will have to be limited to the 12 tune demo MP3 which
I just
uploaded to the aforementioned link (toward the bottom under
Resources)

My own capture setup sucks, but Ahle captured that one in high
quality.

OBC
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: PS/2 Mouse support on C64 and VIC20
Next: 64'er DOS