From: Groepaz on
Ingo Korb wrote:

> Oldbitcollector <jeffledger(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>> SID emulation is produced on a Parallax Propeller.
>
> Does it emulate a 6581, 8580 or both?
>
>> A sample capture of the emulation can be downloaded here:
>
> Could you capture two particular SIDs from the HVSC?
>
> MUSICIANS\D\Dunn_David\Flight_Path_737.sid (6581)
> MUSICIANS\R\Radiantx\Into_the_Chambers_of_Dracu.sid (8580)
>
> As far as I know both require particularly accurate SID emulation for
> correct sound.

ouch, you really dig out the cruel stuff eh :) chambers of dracula is
awesome =)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Women don't know what they want; they don't like what they have got. Men
know very well what they want; having got it, they begin to lose interest.
<A.W.Adams>

From: Oldbitcollector on

> > Would it not be easier to buy the stick device and copy a SID file to it?
>
> it would have been, if that propeller "emulation" wouldnt be fake as hell,
> and thus requires preprocessing the .sid file :)

Ah, that's the comp.sys.cbm I know and love... :) I was starting to
think you guys were sick or something.

Of course it's fake, duh.. It's not a real SID chip. :) It's
emulation.
It's pretty good emulation, but nothing ever beats the real thing. :)

We're doing a test run of the PCB's.

OBC

From: Oldbitcollector on

> Very nice! All I can hear is that is that one of the channels has more
> bass... Is the emulator software a completely new one or is it based
> on some already existing one; can we get some specifications about it?

Joe,

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but here's the official
thread with
the software we're using which has a list of features/specs.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=409209

OBC

From: Groepaz on
Oldbitcollector wrote:

>> it would have been, if that propeller "emulation" wouldnt be fake as
>> hell, and thus requires preprocessing the .sid file :)
>
> Ah, that's the comp.sys.cbm I know and love... :) I was starting to
> think you guys were sick or something.
>
> Of course it's fake, duh.. It's not a real SID chip. :) It's
> emulation.
> It's pretty good emulation, but nothing ever beats the real thing. :)

sorry but, i have my doubts about the "very good" part

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&m=409209

"SIDcog lacks:
- Support for combined waveforms. It's NOOOT just a simple anding(not by a
long shot) of the waveforms as some ignorant people might believe ;)
- Possibillity to change resonance value. It's ALWAYS at max because that's
the most common setting."

in other words, all 8580 tunes, and all tunes using filters, will sound
wrong. "pretty good". ofcourse.

someone else previously asked to record these:

MUSICIANS\D\Dunn_David\Flight_Path_737.sid � � � � �(6581)
MUSICIANS\R\Radiantx\Into_the_Chambers_of_Dracu.sid (8580)

if that sid emulation really is "pretty good" - then do it, these two will
prove it :) and if not, these two will crush it =P (using commando as an
example is cheating, that tune isnt very demanding at all when it comes to
emulation. still clearly different from how it should sound, which doesnt
support the "pretty good" theory at all either =P)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Wenn eine vom Kopienr�uber geraubte Kopie eine Raubkopie ist, dann ist ein
vom Kopiererr�uber geraubter Kopierer ein Raubkopierer.

From: Oldbitcollector on

> someone else previously asked to record these:
>
> MUSICIANS\D\Dunn_David\Flight_Path_737.sid          (6581)
> MUSICIANS\R\Radiantx\Into_the_Chambers_of_Dracu.sid (8580)
>
> if that sid emulation really is "pretty good" - then do it, these two will
> prove it :) and if not, these two will crush it =P (using commando as an
> example is cheating, that tune isnt very demanding at all when it comes to
> emulation. still clearly different from how it should sound, which doesnt
> support the "pretty good" theory at all either =P)

My capture setup pretty much sucks, but there is a prototype of the
PCB
on it's way to me. As soon as it arrives I'll take a shot at those
files.
I can promise that it's "emulation" as such it will never be a SID,
but
the author of the code is pretty picky so it'll either be acceptable
and/or
improve in updates.

OBC
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: PS/2 Mouse support on C64 and VIC20
Next: 64'er DOS