From: Groepaz on
Oldbitcollector wrote:

>> > I'd love to hear honest reviews for anyone who builds one.
>>
>> and i'd seriously expect to hear some of the mentioned tunes before i'd
>> even remotely think about plugging in my soldering iron :o)
>
> Sorry, you guys will have to be limited to the 12 tune demo MP3 which
> I just
> uploaded to the aforementioned link (toward the bottom under
> Resources)
>
> My own capture setup sucks, but Ahle captured that one in high
> quality.

"Super Hi-Quality hardware-based playback at 31kHz sample rate"

high quality eh? .... o_O

- gianna filter sweep -> wrong
- boten anna bass -> wrong
- ocean loader lead -> wrong
- lightforce bass -> wrong (oh SO wrong =P)
- cybernoid -> wrong (where are the sweet sweeps ?)

last not least, pretty much generally every snare drum / hihat sound
(typically made of short noise+filtering) sounds, you guessed it -> wrong

i dont know really. the whole thing looks (sounds) to me half finished. the
basic concepts work, but it isnt quite there yet. pretty much like the state
of sid emulation a couple of years ago.

that said, i am still curious about hearing the tunes mentioned before (and
i dont care wether they are captured in "high quality" - whatever that
means. i can well distinguish between bad emulation and general noise :))

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Terror ist der Krieg der Armen gegen die Reichen. Krieg ist der Terror der
Reichen gegen die Armen.
<Sir Peter Ustinov>

From: Oldbitcollector on
Many parts of this thread have reminded me why I do very little in the
C= community anymore and have prompted consideration of not doing
further projects this direction. I never intended or boasted that
this was a "perfect" replacement for a SID chip. The idea here is to
have a fun, easy to assemble project which does a reasonable emulation
of SID music so that enthusiasts like myself can take SID music on the
go.

I've been again reminded that comp.sys.cbm contains a lot of folks who
produce nothing themselves and have plenty of time to be critical of
attempts by those who are doing.

The project is what it is. I'm sure many will enjoy it. Don't
bother to respond with more of the same. I'm pretty sure that I've no
time for that baggage and will likely not return to read it.

OBC

From: Joe Forster/STA on
> I've been again reminded that comp.sys.cbm contains a lot of folks who
> produce nothing themselves and have plenty of time to be critical of
> attempts by those who are doing.

Groepaz is not exactly the kind of person you're referring to. ;-)
Other than that, I definitely agree!
From: iAN CooG on
> Oldbitcollector <jeffledger(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been again reminded that comp.sys.cbm contains a lot of folks
>> who produce nothing themselves and have plenty of time to be
>> critical of attempts by those who are doing.

Just replace "comp.sys.cbm" with any NG or Forum, despite the argument, and
it's always true. =)

Joe Forster/STA <sta(a)c64.org> wrote:

> Groepaz is not exactly the kind of person you're referring to. ;-)
> Other than that, I definitely agree!

Exactly, he just wanted to know, like many of us, how much "The final
product is extremely good and sounds very close to the real thing" sentence
on the 1st post was true, and anyone that doesn't just listen to 1983 sid
songs knows there is a big difference.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-

From: Groepaz on
Oldbitcollector wrote:

> Many parts of this thread have reminded me why I do very little in the
> C= community anymore and have prompted consideration of not doing
> further projects this direction.

somehow it reminds me more of the folks in the "community" who get all all
touchy and offended as soon as someone critisises whatever they are doing,
and then turn around and ignore the critics, because they know everything
better anyway. instead of listening and eventually understanding why the
critics, and maybe even how to improve their project.

> I never intended or boasted that
> this was a "perfect" replacement for a SID chip. The idea here is to
> have a fun, easy to assemble project which does a reasonable emulation
> of SID music so that enthusiasts like myself can take SID music on the
> go.

i dont have the original posts anymore for reference - so i can only refer
to the website. and according to the website, there is indeed the one or the
other mention of "perfect" and "super high quality". and thats pretty much
exactly why i and others requested a few more tunes - because the example
doesnt quite match what the website claims.

> I've been again reminded that comp.sys.cbm contains a lot of folks who
> produce nothing themselves and have plenty of time to be critical of
> attempts by those who are doing.

one thing i learned from the countless projects i have done is - ignore the
critics, but listen to them. they are eventually right. other than that, i
cant feel adressed by that, sorry :)

> The project is what it is. I'm sure many will enjoy it. Don't
> bother to respond with more of the same. I'm pretty sure that I've no
> time for that baggage and will likely not return to read it.

like you dont bother to simply upload said tunes? no really, if you think
your "capture setup" (whatever that means, besides a cable, a soundcard, and
a pc) is to blame and people couldnt judge the emulation quality anymore
because of a bit of added noise... oh well. sorry to say but, it sounds like
a cheap excuse to me.

dont get me wrong, i like that kind of projects. thumbs up for all the
effort. but that doesnt mean i wont be very critical about it, especially
when it comes to emulation quality of whatever. i fire critics into the
general direction of the vice team almost daily, not because i want to put
it down, but because my only interest is to increase emulation accuracy. and
guess what, a lot of things are now improved, some of which might not even
got noticed if i didnt make my infamous list back then (
http://hitmen.c02.at/files/docs/c64/c64_emulator_bugs.txt ). notice how this
isnt all that different to the list of problems of your sid engine that i
posted. you shouldnt be there whining about those thankless people who
demand chambers of dracula working - you should take it as a hint, examine
the tune, and improve your emulation. many others would be happy if their
users cared enough to actually dig out testcases, i usually prefer it over
"uh it sucks" atleast :)

--

http://www.hitmen-console.org http://magicdisk.untergrund.net
http://www.pokefinder.org http://ftp.pokefinder.org

Nobody needs to tell me what I believe. But I do need somebody to tell me
where Kosovo is.
<George W. Bush>

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: PS/2 Mouse support on C64 and VIC20
Next: 64'er DOS