From: a7yvm109gf5d1 on
JohnH. wrote:
> Hi Martijn,
>
> > "Supports [...] CGA [...] Input"
> >
> > So, you do *not* need an RGBI to RGB converter.
> >
> > It doesn't look like these devices will be cheap, though.
>
> Yes, I was hoping this was correct. I have read in several places that
> Commodore RGBI and CGA were compatible. So, I thought this device
> might work. I have an inquiry to the companies U.S. reseller to get a
> price quote. I'll let you know how expensive it turns out to be.
>
> John

2200$ US. You sure you can't wait a bit for my project?

From: JohnH. on
> 2200$ US. You sure you can't wait a bit for my project?

Holly cow!!! The solution is worth about $100US, maybe $120US to me.
I have not heard back from the U.S. distributer yet. I can't believe
anybody would pay $2,200US to convert a video signal. You could
obviously buy a new monitor for far cheaper.

Is the goal og you RGBI-to-VGA project to produce a comercially
sellable product, or to produce a design that others can work from to
build it themsleves?

John

From: a7yvm109gf5d1 on
JohnH. wrote:
> > 2200$ US. You sure you can't wait a bit for my project?
>
> Holly cow!!! The solution is worth about $100US, maybe $120US to me.
> I have not heard back from the U.S. distributer yet. I can't believe
> anybody would pay $2,200US to convert a video signal. You could
> obviously buy a new monitor for far cheaper.
>
> Is the goal og you RGBI-to-VGA project to produce a comercially
> sellable product, or to produce a design that others can work from to
> build it themsleves?
>
> John

I just called the number from the website you got the datasheets from.
Maybe I misunderstood the amount, but the sales guy proposed a lower
cost device for 500$. He said he would email info to me.

My project is just for myself. I never intended to sell any since the
interest was so low. At best, I was going to release the schematics and
the Olimex work order number to get your own PCB and then you can build
it yourself. This depends on your skill level and what tools you have,
of course. Most parts can be had at Digikey and the other parts I can
order through work since they need the old-school distributor/purchase
order thing. Programmed PICs I can supply.

If my tests on the genlock chip suceed, I can write some more code to
configure the main IC and maybe start seeing some VGA signals soon.
This is just a hobby for me though, so if I get drunk this weekend,
nothing will get done, again...

You seem to have a fairly urgent need of such a device. (BTW CGA and
RGBI should be the same thing, but the IBM CGA monitor did some tricks
to the brown/dark yellow color that I'm still not sure the C= monitors
did. At worst, you'll have one color from the 128 not look exactly
right.)

I think the high cost of their device reflects the amount of work
required to get such a thing working and the small market for one. You
can get NTSC to VGA boxes for less than a 100$ cdn.

From: JohnH. on
> You seem to have a fairly urgent need of such a device.

It is a matter of convenience. I'd like to get all of my computer
systems operating off of one monitor. Currently I have all of these
operating off of my Dell 2407FPW monitor.

* My main PC running XP (via VGA)
* A PC running 64HDD (via VGA)
* A C128D (40 column via composite)
* An Atari 130XE (via S-Video)

The only think I cannot get to work on the monitor is 80 Column output
from the C128 RGBI port. From previous threads it seems like my best
option may be to try and find or create a RGBI to RGB Component
interface. The Dell 2407FPW support RGB Component input.

I'm not really a hardware guy. I can do simple things. But, I think
I'm better off trying to go off-the-self if possible.

John

From: Leif Bloomquist on

"JohnH." <john(a)jrcc.net> wrote in message

> The only think I cannot get to work on the monitor is 80 Column output
> from the C128 RGBI port.

You can get mediocre monochrome composite output from the RGBI Port on Pin
7. You'd be missing out on the excellent color, but at least you'd be able
to display the information.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: USB chip