From: Joseph Fenn on

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Dragos wrote:

> First you say to wait for your project, then you say your not going to
> be selling them. well, that i believe, you cant sell something that
> you'll never finish. you do seem to have wildstar conviced, but thats
> not too hard.
>
> More vaporcrap, more hype, more BS.
>
> a7yvm109gf5d1(a)netzero.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Holly cow!!! The solution is worth about $100US, maybe $120US to me.
>>> I have not heard back from the U.S. distributer yet. I can't believe
>>> anybody would pay $2,200US to convert a video signal. You could
>>> obviously buy a new monitor for far cheaper.
>>>
>>> Is the goal og you RGBI-to-VGA project to produce a comercially
>>> sellable product, or to produce a design that others can work from to
>>> build it themsleves?
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> I just called the number from the website you got the datasheets from.
>> Maybe I misunderstood the amount, but the sales guy proposed a lower
>> cost device for 500$. He said he would email info to me.
>>
>> My project is just for myself. I never intended to sell any since the
>> interest was so low. At best, I was going to release the schematics and
>> the Olimex work order number to get your own PCB and then you can build
>> it yourself. This depends on your skill level and what tools you have,
>> of course. Most parts can be had at Digikey and the other parts I can
>> order through work since they need the old-school distributor/purchase
>> order thing. Programmed PICs I can supply.
>>
>> If my tests on the genlock chip suceed, I can write some more code to
>> configure the main IC and maybe start seeing some VGA signals soon.
>> This is just a hobby for me though, so if I get drunk this weekend,
>> nothing will get done, again...
>>
>> You seem to have a fairly urgent need of such a device. (BTW CGA and
>> RGBI should be the same thing, but the IBM CGA monitor did some tricks
>> to the brown/dark yellow color that I'm still not sure the C= monitors
>> did. At worst, you'll have one color from the 128 not look exactly
>> right.)
>>
>> I think the high cost of their device reflects the amount of work
>> required to get such a thing working and the small market for one. You
>> can get NTSC to VGA boxes for less than a 100$ cdn.

Well just keep on looking as your not find anything that will do it.
For 128 80 coum mode. In the meantime I'll have another
Heinekens or 2.
Mad Man Joe

From: vanDEesLEsaTEezTHekISowitz on
Joseph Fenn wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Leif Bloomquist wrote:
>

>> "JohnH." <john(a)jrcc.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> The only think I cannot get to work on the monitor is 80 Column output
>>> from the C128 RGBI port.
>>
>> You can get mediocre monochrome composite output from the RGBI Port on
>> Pin
>> 7. You'd be missing out on the excellent color, but at least you'd be
>> able to display the information.
>>

> Hogwash
> joe

All C128s contain a monochrome signal on pin 7 of the 80-column RGBI port,
which is suitable for pretty much any standard composite or B&W monitor
with a regular "video" input. It only outputs four levels if I remember
right (two of which are almost identical), but it will work if you're in a
bind and really need the 80 column screen for a quick project or something.

--
"Life is full of happy and sad events. If you take the time
to concentrate on the former, you'll get further in life."
From: JohnH. on
Well, I can confirm the price, $2,200US. That $500 quote you got is
for a less functional unit that I suspect will not work. I just heard
back from the U.S. distributer. Frankly, they must be smoking crack!
I can not imagine a senario where it makes economic since to pay $2,200
for a device that converts a video signal. Maybe my imagination is
just too limited. Alas, I am sad. I found a device that will do what
I want. It just costs too much.

From: Robert Bernardo on
On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 Vanessa wrote:

> All C128s contain a monochrome signal on pin 7 of the 80-column RGBI port,
> which is suitable for pretty much any standard composite or B&W monitor
> with a regular "video" input.

Yes, I did that use solution back in the 1980's before I got my first
RGB/composite monitor.

Join us at the FCUG table at
the Vintage Computer Festival 9.0
Nov. 4-5,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
From: Sam Gillett on

"Joseph Fenn" <jfenn(a)lava.net> wrote ...

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Leif Bloomquist wrote:
>
>> "JohnH." <john(a)jrcc.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> The only think I cannot get to work on the monitor is 80 Column output
>>> from the C128 RGBI port.
>>
>> You can get mediocre monochrome composite output from the RGBI Port on Pin
>> 7. You'd be missing out on the excellent color, but at least you'd be
>> able
>> to display the information.
>>
> Hogwash
> joe

Not hogwash Joe. When I was running a BBS on my C128 in 80 column mode I
used several monitors over the years. The pin 7 output was perfectly usable
with a Zenith "green screen" monitor.

Also used an Emerson CGA monitor for a while. Much sharper display than my
Commodore 1902A monitor. Only drawback to the CGA monitor was no 40 column
mode. :-(
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett