From: Robert Comer on
>> Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)
>
> Does it have the seamless operation?

Not quite as good as XP Mode -- it's called Unity, and it's also pretty
slow. (it uses screen scraping rather than RDP)

--
Bob Comer

From: Steve Rindsberg on
[snippedy-doodah snippedy-yay]

> > Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)
>
> Does it have the seamless operation?

Unless you beat it pretty good, it's not even aware of the extended desktop. The
copy of Windows running inside it is restricted to the VMware window (which can be
full screen on one or another of the monitors). For example, if you doubleclick the
title bar of the VMWare app, it expands to fill whichever monitor it's *mostly* on;
it doesn't try to fill both monitors (ie, the expanded desktop). If you want it to
do that, you'd make the app less than maximized then manually drag and size it to
the desired shape/size.

I think that as of about version 6.5 or so, VMWare can use multiple monitors but I
haven't had reason/chance to mess with it.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> [snippedy-doodah snippedy-yay]
>
>>> Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)
>>
>> Does it have the seamless operation?
>
> Unless you beat it pretty good, it's not even aware of the extended desktop.
> The copy of Windows running inside it is restricted to the VMware window
> (which can be full screen on one or another of the monitors). For example,
> if you doubleclick the title bar of the VMWare app, it expands to fill
> whichever monitor it's *mostly* on; it doesn't try to fill both monitors
> (ie, the expanded desktop). If you want it to do that, you'd make the app
> less than maximized then manually drag and size it to the desired
> shape/size.

Okay, that sounds a whole like running ordinary VirtualPC VMs. They've
actually done something kind of crazy with what they now call "Windows
Virtual PC" that can be added onto non-consumer versions of Windows 7.
It makes it appear the software running in an XP VM is actually running
on Windows 7. But it fails to pass along the separate monitor
information. It's very cool, and at times very frustrating. Funny how
that goes, huh?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
>>> Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)
>>
>> Does it have the seamless operation?
>
> Not quite as good as XP Mode -- it's called Unity, and it's also pretty slow.
> (it uses screen scraping rather than RDP)

Okay, that's good to know. So we're left just waiting for MSFT to
accurately pass the monitor metrics through to the guest VM, then. :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Robert Comer on
> Okay, that's good to know. So we're left just waiting for MSFT to
> accurately pass the monitor metrics through to the guest VM, then. :-(

I wouldn't know, I never use extended desktop like that, however I don't
think it's passing parameter that's the problem, it's probably the drawing
technology. In VPC2007 it was a directdraw problem, but I don't know about
WVPC.

--
Bob Comer