From: Karl E. Peterson on
Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Running Office 2007 <gag> in Windows 7 x64, so loaded Office 2003 in a WVPC
> VM as I still need to support and develop for that platform as well.
>
> All is good except... When I flick PPT into presentation mode, it centers
> the show smackdab in the middle of the virtual display -- that is, spread
> across both physical displays and split down the middle.
>
> Anyone know of anyway to force it to use one or the other, as it does when
> it's installed native?

Seeing no response in the VirtualPC group, I'm now thinking I should've
also cross-posted over into a PowerPoint group as well.

For the PowerPoint folks: WVPC is "Windows Virtual PC" which allows
virtual XP machines to be setup in Windows 7. In this case, PPT2003 is
being run "seemlessly", making it appear that it's running as an
installed app in the Win7 install, rather than within the XP VM.

Any thoughts or ideas or questions?

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <#WpFg0C0KHA.6112(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> > Running Office 2007 <gag> in Windows 7 x64, so loaded Office 2003 in a WVPC
> > VM as I still need to support and develop for that platform as well.
> >
> > All is good except... When I flick PPT into presentation mode, it centers
> > the show smackdab in the middle of the virtual display -- that is, spread
> > across both physical displays and split down the middle.
> >
> > Anyone know of anyway to force it to use one or the other, as it does when
> > it's installed native?
>
> Seeing no response in the VirtualPC group, I'm now thinking I should've
> also cross-posted over into a PowerPoint group as well.
>
> For the PowerPoint folks: WVPC is "Windows Virtual PC" which allows
> virtual XP machines to be setup in Windows 7. In this case, PPT2003 is
> being run "seemlessly", making it appear that it's running as an
> installed app in the Win7 install, rather than within the XP VM.

"seemlessly"? Shouldn't that be "shamelessly"? Or maybe "seamlessly".
Yeah. That's the ticket. Sans Seams.

So we try this on for size: in seamless mode, do you/can you set the display
resolution of the virtual machine? I'm thinking that there might be some kind
of disconnect between the VM's display rez and the rez of the physical machine
hosting it. What happens if you set the two to match? Assuming that's
possible.

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> In article <#WpFg0C0KHA.6112(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>>> Running Office 2007 <gag> in Windows 7 x64, so loaded Office 2003 in a WVPC
>>> VM as I still need to support and develop for that platform as well.
>>>
>>> All is good except... When I flick PPT into presentation mode, it centers
>>> the show smackdab in the middle of the virtual display -- that is, spread
>>> across both physical displays and split down the middle.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of anyway to force it to use one or the other, as it does when
>>> it's installed native?
>>
>> Seeing no response in the VirtualPC group, I'm now thinking I should've
>> also cross-posted over into a PowerPoint group as well.
>>
>> For the PowerPoint folks: WVPC is "Windows Virtual PC" which allows
>> virtual XP machines to be setup in Windows 7. In this case, PPT2003 is
>> being run "seemlessly", making it appear that it's running as an
>> installed app in the Win7 install, rather than within the XP VM.
>
> "seemlessly"? Shouldn't that be "shamelessly"? Or maybe "seamlessly".
> Yeah. That's the ticket. Sans Seams.

Heh, well, sometimes it seems to work better than others?

> So we try this on for size: in seamless mode, do you/can you set the display
> resolution of the virtual machine?

No. It just seems to use the entire virtual screen coordinates, not
differentiating between individual monitors.

As I google about more and more, it's starting to seem like a "known
limitation/feature." For example:

"Virtual application windows being centered across two monitors is a
known limitation. The application opens in span mode and treats the 2
monitors as 1 big screen, hence the centering."
~
http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/08/04/windows-virtual-pc.aspx

(I can't tell if that's an official MSFT mouth speaking, there, or
not?)

> I'm thinking that there might be some
> kind of disconnect between the VM's display rez and the rez of the physical
> machine hosting it. What happens if you set the two to match? Assuming
> that's possible.

These things are weird. They operate just as though they are installed
on the host. Other than having the whole XP theme thing going on, with
nary a sign of Aero, of course.

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <#GCBQtP0KHA.4548(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Steve Rindsberg wrote:

> >> Seeing no response in the VirtualPC group, I'm now thinking I should've
> >> also cross-posted over into a PowerPoint group as well.
> >>
> >> For the PowerPoint folks: WVPC is "Windows Virtual PC" which allows
> >> virtual XP machines to be setup in Windows 7. In this case, PPT2003 is
> >> being run "seemlessly", making it appear that it's running as an
> >> installed app in the Win7 install, rather than within the XP VM.
> >
> > "seemlessly"? Shouldn't that be "shamelessly"? Or maybe "seamlessly".
> > Yeah. That's the ticket. Sans Seams.
>
> Heh, well, sometimes it seems to work better than others?
>
> > So we try this on for size: in seamless mode, do you/can you set the display
> > resolution of the virtual machine?
>
> No. It just seems to use the entire virtual screen coordinates, not
> differentiating between individual monitors.
>
> As I google about more and more, it's starting to seem like a "known
> limitation/feature." For example:
>
> "Virtual application windows being centered across two monitors is a
> known limitation. The application opens in span mode and treats the 2
> monitors as 1 big screen, hence the centering."
> ~
> http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/08/04/windows-virtual-pc.aspx
>
> (I can't tell if that's an official MSFT mouth speaking, there, or
> not?)
>
> > I'm thinking that there might be some
> > kind of disconnect between the VM's display rez and the rez of the physical
> > machine hosting it. What happens if you set the two to match? Assuming
> > that's possible.
>
> These things are weird. They operate just as though they are installed
> on the host. Other than having the whole XP theme thing going on, with
> nary a sign of Aero, of course.
>
> Thanks... Karl

Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)

==============================

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> In article <#GCBQtP0KHA.4548(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Steve Rindsberg wrote:

>>> "seemlessly"? Shouldn't that be "shamelessly"? Or maybe "seamlessly".
>>> Yeah. That's the ticket. Sans Seams.
>>
>> Heh, well, sometimes it seems to work better than others?
>>
>>> So we try this on for size: in seamless mode, do you/can you set the
>>> display resolution of the virtual machine?
>>
>> No. It just seems to use the entire virtual screen coordinates, not
>> differentiating between individual monitors.
>>
>> As I google about more and more, it's starting to seem like a "known
>> limitation/feature." For example:
>>
>> "Virtual application windows being centered across two monitors is a
>> known limitation. The application opens in span mode and treats the 2
>> monitors as 1 big screen, hence the centering."
>> ~
>> http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/08/04/windows-virtual-pc.aspx
>>
>> (I can't tell if that's an official MSFT mouth speaking, there, or
>> not?)
>>
>>> I'm thinking that there might be some
>>> kind of disconnect between the VM's display rez and the rez of the
>>> physical machine hosting it. What happens if you set the two to match?
>>> Assuming that's possible.
>>
>> These things are weird. They operate just as though they are installed
>> on the host. Other than having the whole XP theme thing going on, with
>> nary a sign of Aero, of course.
>
> Hm. Use VMWare instead? ;-)

Does it have the seamless operation?

--