From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <Ox66hiM3KHA.4336(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson
wrote:
> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> > Thanks ...
> >
> > Not sure what I'll use it for, but something will come up, no doubt.
> > <g>
>
> It's the /only/ way to run 16-bit apps in x64, for one thing.

Y'mean the only MS-supplied way? I expect a VWare hosted XP/other Windows
instance would work ok too.

>Also, it
> seems FrontPage is totally hosed on w7.

For some, a big deal, I guess. For me, a big shrug.

> And, one of the cooler uses
> I've put it to is this very one - having side by side installs of
> different Office versions. :-)

<vmware_here>Shrug</vmware_here>

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
>> Yeah, the more I thought about it last night, that realization dawned on
>> me. That would definitely seem to be the better enhancement request, but
>> I'm guessing the odds of that are pretty darned low, huh?
>
> You never know, if you request it and give a darn good reason most people
> need it, they're pretty open to suggestions.

Well, I think the way these "seamless" apps (is there a better way to
describe them?) are behaving is a pretty good one. Whoda thunk to make
sure the primary was on the right???

>> Whazzat?
>
> RAIL is an RDP way of sharing application windows, it's not just a WVPC
> thing.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc239612%28PROT.10%29.aspx

Huh. Well that just sounds darned cool! What constitutes a "RAIL
server" -- any old RDP host?

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/thread/d6696012-852d-43c4-a7d4-c2ae626b471e
>
> I would like to add that given the fix, it's definitely a bug with a
> workaround. <g>

Yeah, it's interesting that MSFT seemed to view it as a bug, too.
Worse still, I have this haunting feeling that I've "fixed" something
else with that, some time ago, but somehow my monitors got flopped
about at another point down the road. <groan>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
>>> Thanks ...
>>>
>>> Not sure what I'll use it for, but something will come up, no doubt.
>>> <g>
>>
>> It's the /only/ way to run 16-bit apps in x64, for one thing.
>
> Y'mean the only MS-supplied way? I expect a VWare hosted XP/other Windows
> instance would work ok too.

Sorry, yeah, I'm sure that'd be fine as well. I just have a thing for
"free" when it does the job. :-)

>> Also, it
>> seems FrontPage is totally hosed on w7.
>
> For some, a big deal, I guess. For me, a big shrug.

I know I'm in a shrinking minority on that one, too.

>> And, one of the cooler uses
>> I've put it to is this very one - having side by side installs of
>> different Office versions. :-)
>
> <vmware_here>Shrug</vmware_here>

Heheheh... Okay, there ya go. :-)

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Robert Comer on
> Well, I think the way these "seamless" apps (is there a better way to
> describe them?) are behaving is a pretty good one.

For my purposes it works really well!.

>Whoda thunk to make sure the primary was on the right???

I never would have, though something's tickling my brain about that,
something to do with directdraw maybe?

> Huh. Well that just sounds darned cool! What constitutes a "RAIL
> server" -- any old RDP host?

I don't know if it's any of them, but something like MED-V also uses it, and
probably other things. I wonder if the Citrix app sharing is similar...

--
Bob Comer