From: on
In article <12m3kbf8vtskld3(a)news.supernews.com>,
HeyBub <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>>> It is, however, a false conclusion inasmuch
>>> as the Japanese are not well-armed.
>>
>> Now that's a curious point... so, if the Japanese are a society which
>> is not well-armed and is polite. What's an example, then, of a
>> society which is armed and nearly so polite?
>
>Any of the southern states.

I've lived in a variety of states, in a variety of parts of the country,
and find that this assertion is incorrect... folks is folks, no matter
where one goes.

>We did not change our notions of civility after
>the recent conflict.

The 'recent conflict'... you mean the one in which Lee surrendered to
Grant at the Appomattox Court House? States accustomed to surrender might
know a bit about submission, certainly... but submission is not
necessarily politesse.

[snip]

>> That is why I asked for an example... second request, then: can you
>> point to an example or two which might bolster your assertion that
>> 'an armed society is a polite society'?
>
>Sure. My neighborhood. Mostly.

Well, that settles things nicely... so since it rains regularly there it
must rain regularly in the Kalahari, as well.

DD

From: Alistair on

docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <12m0mstdjc9ptd2(a)news.supernews.com>,
> HeyBub <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Pete Dashwood wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for that, DOC.
> >>
> >> You can see why we don't want the Police to have guns... :-)
> >>

> >We often suggest the cops have more training. There was a case in NY a
> >couple of years ago where four detectives shot at a goblin 42 times, from 15
> >feet, and only scored 19 hits.
> >
> >In general, however, we Texans encourage most people - not just the
> >constabulary - to carry guns. "An armed society is a polite society" as the
> >saying goes.
>
> That saying, of course, accounts for the *exquisite* politesse of the
> Japanese... ummmm, the Chinese... ummmmm, the Swedes... oh well, it
> accounts for the well-known politesse of Dodge City... ummmmmm,
> Tombstone... ummmmm... hey, a lot of those 'sayings' are just old wives'
> tales, anyhow.
>
> (Before anyone trots out that fine, old chestnut about how the murder
> rate in Dodge City during the height of the Wild West Daze was half that
> in Washington, DC in the 1990s... remember, the assertion was about being
> *polite*, not about committing murder; the phenomenon of politesse is, I
> would say, an intricate social phenomenon having to do more with the
> aspiring towards a reified ideal than a fear of unlawful death... as the
> saying goes, 'Cowards die a thousand deaths, the valiant taste of death
> but once'.)
>
> DD

But in living longer, one would expect that the average number of a
cowards' offspring is greater than that of the average valiant man.

From: Alistair on

docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <12m128anscmdo31(a)news.supernews.com>,
> HeyBub <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Quite the sociologist, I've heard... do tell, where and when did he do his
> field studies? Was there a particular methodolgy applied... or did he
> just sit in a house-trailer and write Tall Tales? When an opinion is
> bolstered by 'something I read in a novel' it might do well to give it as
> much weight as an opinion bolstered by 'something I saw in a movie'.
>
> DD

Doc, you should know better than to use the term METHODOLOGY (the study
of methods) when you obviously mean METHOD.

From: on
In article <1164045771.648687.236880(a)j44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <12m128anscmdo31(a)news.supernews.com>,
>> HeyBub <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Quite the sociologist, I've heard... do tell, where and when did he do his
>> field studies? Was there a particular methodolgy applied... or did he
>> just sit in a house-trailer and write Tall Tales? When an opinion is
>> bolstered by 'something I read in a novel' it might do well to give it as
>> much weight as an opinion bolstered by 'something I saw in a movie'.
>
>Doc, you should know better than to use the term METHODOLOGY (the study
>of methods) when you obviously mean METHOD.

Mr Maclean, I intended to inquire into the body of methods, rules and
postulates employed by the sociologist in question; that is, by at least
one definition (http://m-w.com/dictionary/methodology) a methodology.

DD

From: on
In article <1164045562.179587.56900(a)h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:

[snip - I apologise to myself for the midsentence interruption]

>> ... 'Cowards die a thousand deaths, the valiant taste of death
>> but once'.)
>
>But in living longer, one would expect that the average number of a
>cowards' offspring is greater than that of the average valiant man.

Perhaps so, perhaps no... in addition to living longer there's a little
matter of attracting mates... and then the process of mating... and then
the viability of the offspring generated by such mating... it can be seen
as moderately intricate, once one thinks along those lines... of course,
the problem with that might be, for some, instead of relying on the dicta
of fiction-authors they, themselves, might have to do something called
'thinking'... I think.

DD