From: on
In article <1164056885.578571.326160(a)f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <1164045562.179587.56900(a)h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>> Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >
>> >docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>>
>> [snip - I apologise to myself for the midsentence interruption]

>> >But in living longer, one would expect that the average number of a
>> >cowards' offspring is greater than that of the average valiant man.
>>
>> Perhaps so, perhaps no... in addition to living longer there's a little
>> matter of attracting mates... and then the process of mating... and then
>> the viability of the offspring generated by such mating... it can be seen
>> as moderately intricate, once one thinks along those lines... of course,
>> the problem with that might be, for some, instead of relying on the dicta
>> of fiction-authors they, themselves, might have to do something called
>> 'thinking'... I think.
>
>Methinks that the law of large numbers is on my side.

I can neither agree nor disagree, Mr Maclean... as with politesse, I'm not
familiar with the quantification of the phenomena in question.

>Also,
>remember that it is written thus: the meek shall inherit the earth.

Note the lack of mechanism posited, Mr Maclean... there might be lawyers
involved.

DD

From: Alistair on

LX-i wrote:
> docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure... and I tried, earlier, to move the discussion away from
> > murder and towards politesse. It becomes even more complex when one
> > attempts a measure of 'being polite'... it might be that an act of good
> > manners, in one place and time, is an insult or an admission of weakness
> > in others.
> >
> > ('He let me go through the door first because he realises that I am
> > superior to him.')
>
> This is a very good insight. Of course, we have this even in our own
> society between men and women. A man opens the door for a woman - she's
> either a) grateful for the show of respect, b) spoiled to the point
> where she doesn't even recognize the gesture, or c) offended because she
> was treated differently. Same problems if you let them get their own
> door, but in reverse.
>
> (Of course, my answer to those who respond with "c" is usually something
> like "I'm not treating you differently; I'm respectful to men and women
> both!")

Just think how much more offended she would be if she discovered the
origins of the gesture: Renaissance Italy, let the women through first
so that if there is an assassin behind the door then the important male
doesn't get killed. BTW, shaking hands was a gesture to show that your
sword hand was empty (don't know how they catered for people who were
left handed or carried daggers as well as swords).

From: Alistair on

Pete Dashwood wrote:
> "Alistair" <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:

> >> [snip - I apologise to myself for the midsentence interruption]

> >> Perhaps so, perhaps no... in addition to living longer there's a little
> >> matter of attracting mates... and then the process of mating... and then
> >> the viability of the offspring generated by such mating... it can be seen
> >> as moderately intricate, once one thinks along those lines... of course,
> >> the problem with that might be, for some, instead of relying on the dicta
> >> of fiction-authors they, themselves, might have to do something called
> >> 'thinking'... I think.
> >>
> >> DD
> >
> > Methinks that the law of large numbers is on my side. Also,
> > remember that it is written thus: the meek shall inherit the earth.
> >

> Only if the rest of us don't mind...
>
> Besides, it was the Greeks who will inherit the earth, wasn't it?
>
> Pete.

Geeks, not Greeks, surely?

From: Howard Brazee on
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:32:22 -0600, LX-i <lxi0007(a)netscape.net> wrote:

>This is a very good insight. Of course, we have this even in our own
>society between men and women. A man opens the door for a woman - she's
>either a) grateful for the show of respect, b) spoiled to the point
>where she doesn't even recognize the gesture, or c) offended because she
>was treated differently. Same problems if you let them get their own
>door, but in reverse.

This isn't a problem where we have double doors at a building. One
person opens the first door - and the other person opens the 2nd door.
From: Michael Mattias on
> This is a very good insight. Of course, we have this even in our own
> society between men and women. A man opens the door for a woman - she's
> either a) grateful for the show of respect, b) spoiled to the point where
> she doesn't even recognize the gesture, or c) offended because she was
> treated differently. Same problems if you let them get their own door,
> but in reverse.

Um, you weren't looking for a predictable outcome, were you? That would
assume women are logical creatures.