From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:52:15 GMT, "Michael Mattias"
<mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:

>Um, you weren't looking for a predictable outcome, were you? That would
>assume women are logical creatures.

Predictable and logical aren't necessarily the same thing - as women
know by looking at men.
From: HeyBub on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:52:15 GMT, "Michael Mattias"
> <mmattias(a)talsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Um, you weren't looking for a predictable outcome, were you? That
>> would assume women are logical creatures.
>
> Predictable and logical aren't necessarily the same thing - as women
> know by looking at men.

Sure they are. Sperm are cheap. The male's best reproductive strategy is to
impregnate as many femals as possible. That tactic is both predictable and
logical. Ova are dear. The female's best reproductive strategy is to get the
best sperm possible (or sperm from the best candidate). Predictable and
logical.

The problem women have in looking at men is two-fold. First, in answer to
the common distaff lament "Why are all the good men married?" it will be
found that it is marriage that makes men good. Women SHOULD be looking at
men as "raw material" not as a "finished product."

Secondly, often women drape their man with an imaginary cloak of perfection,
as in:

"Billy-Bob don't have much book-learnin', but he has a way of just knowin'
when you can trust somebody..."

From: Howard Brazee on
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:32:16 -0600, "HeyBub" <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Predictable and logical aren't necessarily the same thing - as women
>> know by looking at men.
>
>Sure they are. Sperm are cheap. The male's best reproductive strategy is to
>impregnate as many femals as possible. That tactic is both predictable and
>logical.

First, men do other things besides reproduce. Many of those things
are illogical - and predictable.

Second, reproduction strategy doesn't stop at impregnation. That's
why the middle class are having fewer children - to optimize our
resources in providing them with the best opportunities to thrive -
and get us grandchildren with the same types of opportunities.

>Ova are dear. The female's best reproductive strategy is to get the
>best sperm possible (or sperm from the best candidate). Predictable and
>logical.

More important than "the best sperm" is "the best post-natal support".
Any caring Dad is better for the child's survival (and success) than
the best genes without the Dad.
From: HeyBub on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:32:16 -0600, "HeyBub" <heybubNOSPAM(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Predictable and logical aren't necessarily the same thing - as women
>>> know by looking at men.
>>
>> Sure they are. Sperm are cheap. The male's best reproductive
>> strategy is to impregnate as many femals as possible. That tactic is
>> both predictable and logical.
>
> First, men do other things besides reproduce. Many of those things
> are illogical - and predictable.
>
> Second, reproduction strategy doesn't stop at impregnation. That's
> why the middle class are having fewer children - to optimize our
> resources in providing them with the best opportunities to thrive -
> and get us grandchildren with the same types of opportunities.

There is some merit to that position. In the past, children were necessary
for the survival of the family unit. At present, with so many couples
electing to not have children at all, it's hardly a "what's best for the
children" motive driving them.

>> Ova are dear. The female's best reproductive strategy is to get the
>> best sperm possible (or sperm from the best candidate). Predictable
>> and logical.
>
> More important than "the best sperm" is "the best post-natal support".
> Any caring Dad is better for the child's survival (and success) than
> the best genes without the Dad.

Well, yeah. But I get my information from a book entitled: "Sexual Choices:
Why women pick the men they do" which puts the whole choice thingy on a
biological standard. The author, herself a woman who objects to the phrase
"Gold-digger," prefers to denominate the custom as "resource accrual."
Resource accrual is in her top five reasons.

A (partial) consequence of Resource Accrual is the fact that old geezers
don't pick young chicks; it's the young chicks that choose the old geezers.
And one of the reasons they do, is we elder-care citizens have more, um,
resources accrued. Should I desire, I can probably pick up more
fresh-squeezed with my Lamborghini than the hip-hoppers can with their
stainless steel protuberance piercings. [To be fair, another reason is that
we seniors have demonstrated, through our longivity, that our offspring are
unlikely to inherit a congenital early-death gene.]

From: Pete Dashwood on

<docdwarf(a)panix.com> wrote in message news:ejvmo0$c3p$1(a)reader2.panix.com...
<snip>

>>To be blunt, don't lift the skirt. No,
>>best to go with the first impression and not seek confirmation.

Absolutely... and better a skirt lifter than a shirt lifter... right?

> Tune in next week when the lesson is... Pay No Attention to that Man
> Behind the Curtain.

Dead for a ducat...

Pete.