From: thanatoid on
Steve Hayes <hayesstw(a)telkomsa.net> wrote in

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:58:53 -0500, "Daave"
> <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>>Steve Hayes wrote:

(Still waiting for an example, David.)

<SNIP>

> I thoguht that in this ng, unless otherwise stated, that
> WERE talking about Windows XP operating system.
>
> And if I reinstall the software, will it just overwrite the
> old entries, so that they don't interfere with the new
> installation?

/Very/ good question. Let's see all the people who enjoy
hoarding old registry entries answer that one. Let's specify
"reinstall" and "overwrite" to mean that a newer version of the
same program is being installed, or a /similar/ program which
handles the same types of files.

(If you are reinstalling the /identical/ version of the same
program you had before, the worst that may happen is that you
may end up with old settings you don't want any more or that you
may end up with new settings you didn't want, depending on how
bad the install routine is written. Either way you will have to
do some work.)
From: Daave on
Steve Hayes wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 09:53:32 -0500, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>> But operating systems from XP onward are designed so differently, and
>> seemingly countless orphan entries in the registry interestingly
>> cause no appreciable difference in performance. This is why so many
>> experienced people caution against the use of these programs. There
>> is no noticeable benefit and there is a small chance that significant
>> damage may occur. Yes, although rare, there have been instances
>> reported in these very newsgroups where people have been unable to
>> boot into Windows after running these cleaners!
>
> Thanks for that info.
>
>> For advanced people who always have an up-to-date image or clone of
>> their system hard drive, using the _non-scam_ registry cleaners is
>> not an issue because even if the rare situation of a non-bootable
>> system occurs, they're covered. And some people like to play around
>> and clean house, attempting to rid their registries of as many
>> useless entries (or entries *perceived* of as useless!) as possible.
>> Some of these people (hello, Twayne) will insist that the perceived
>> threat of cleaning a registry is overblown.
>
> I installed some programs on my second hard disk, which then began
> misbehaving. I put in a new disk, restored the partition images from
> backups, but the new programs were missing, though the stuff in the
> registry on the C: drive will still be there.
>
> I was thinking of reinstalling some of those programs, but wondered
> if the existing registry entries might confuse things, so was
> thinking of using a registry cleaner (after making a backup of the C:
> drive) before trying to reinstall them.

Chances are 99.9% that there will be no confusion. Nothing in life is
100%. But that also goes for altering registry settings as a
preventative measure. There is always a small chance that doing so will
cause significant problems. That is why it is logical to leave well
enough alone.

> Most registry cleaners I know come on those discs distributed with
> rputable computer magazines -- if they are all malware, why isn't
> there a chorus of complaints from their readers?

They are *not* all malware. Most, in fact, are legit programs (which
would explain why there is no "chorus of complaints" :-) ). They just
don't offer any benefit when it comes to increasing performance; it is a
placebo effect.

*Some* programs are malware, however. Here is one example:

http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-registrycleanerpro

From: Twayne on
In news:Xns9CF9AF0E24D4thanexit(a)188.40.43.245,
thanatoid <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> typed:
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Jackson wrote:
>>> Kim Komando's tip of the day (07 Jan) has good words for
>>> Microcraft's jv Power tools for cleaning the registry. I
>>> believe it's freeware.
>>>
>>> Has anyone used this program? Do you have any remarks or
>>> recomendations?
>>
>> Would you clean your registry manually?
>
> I do and have many times.
>
>> Would you use such a cleaning tool and verify each entry it
>> found and wanted to remove manually before removing it?
>
> That is SOME sentence ;-)
>
> JV16 does an amazing job and tells you exactly WHY something
> "can go" and it's up to you, It also makes backups - which I
> have NEVER needed to use.
>
> Generally, after using my 4 reg cleaners (I only do it once in a
> while, like before making an image of C:) I DO manually clean
> stuff because NOTHING will do EVERYTHING.
>
> The reg cleaners just make the job faster and more thorough
> since they will look through everything, like the entire HKCR
> tree, something I have NO patience for.

I'll buy that; it's one step further than I go, but it doesn't hurt anything
as long as you know what you're doing, which you do or you wouldn't be
online< G >. Well, I also only use one cleaner too, but I do have three I
keep available just in case.
You did well, brain-farted sentence and all! :^}

Cheers,

Twayne`

From: Twayne on
In news:u0FmeX$jKHA.1264(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> typed:
> From: "thanatoid" <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>
>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>
>>> From: "Jackson" <jackdinsss(a)hotXmail.com>

>>> Rulle of thumb...
>
>>> Do NOT use so-called Registry Cleaners !
>
>> You "rulle" of thumb is as good as its spelling.
>

> Forget the BS spelling faux pas...
>
> It is contraindicated to use so-called Registry Cleaners !

What're you, practicing to pose as a doctor? Take two pills of whatever
you've got and go to sleep.

From: Twayne on
In news:OHvLoBAkKHA.5020(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
David H. Lipman <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> typed:
> From: "thanatoid" <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>
>
>> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in
>
>>> From: "thanatoid" <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>

>>> Forget the BS spelling faux pas...
>
>>> It is contraindicated to use so-called Registry Cleaners !
>
>> OK, I'll bite... Why?
>

> Because the need for one is a myth
>
> Use can cause MORE problems than they purport to solve. Problems
> that can be catastrophic.

Citations? Detailed, verifiable evidence? Anything besides the very
occasional anecdote? I've never seen one other than the Um, Huh thread
written with extreme bias by one of our participants here.
On what do you base your opinion (which you state as fact)? Oh, that's
right; you're a micro-sap company man.

Twayne`

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14