From: Bo on
On Jan 24, 1:47 pm, "bill allemann" <custom4...(a)sbcglobal.netINVALID>
wrote:

> I think Microsoft operating systems are getting much worse for technical
> usage, and that trend doesn't seem to be losing momentum.
>
> Bill

I actually think MS started losing the technical battle BECAUSE they
tried to create a whole new OS. MS was never a company that
originally created an OS & had a system in place to do such things.
Initially they Bought theirs.

Then when MS sought to get software developers to write for their OS,
they told developers they would create an "Industrial Strength OS" in
NT, and touted the features it would have. They failed to deliver
some features entirely (ala Longhorn differences with Vista).

MS seems to have always promised the moon, but delivered just a
satellite.

Bo
From: Jerry Steiger on
"Bo" <bo(a)tilikum.com> wrote in message
> What is your take on the news from SWW?

I only know that reading a note said that the new CEO, Mr. Ray, CEO
of SolidWorks is promising more stable and well designed software in
the future.

It wasn't just Mr. Ray, although I was extremely happy to hear him pledge
that SWC would focus on doing a better job on existing functionality. A lot
of other SWC people were saying similar things.

I was disappointed that his statements didn't get a standing ovation.

Jerry Steiger

From: zxys on
My best guess of what we will see from the new CEO at SW Corp...

.... do some background checking,... Hugh Jefferson (Jeff) Ray
III.....background = Sales and Global Sales.

Let's see,.. if I were a CEO leaving SW Corp,.. I would hire someone
who was very good at,... let see,.. sales!

There you have it... I really don't think performance or quality are
the main focus or will they ever be at SW Corp.

The main focus will be,... just staying ahead enough to keep your
complacent conservative and new 3D users interested.

Just another AutoDe$k making their mark, buying up technology and
using ideas from others to sell more licenses..

... (break it, fix it, break it, fix it,..... promise to do better,...
= great business plan = SALES!)
From: jon_banquer on
> It wasn't just Mr. Ray, although I was extremely happy to hear him pledge
> that SWC would focus on doing a better job on existing functionality. A lot
> of other SWC people were saying similar things.

Can we please get down to the specifics:

The problem is there is no substantive proof of change from SolidWorks
Corp. Instead they are showing even more new features for SolidWorks
2009.

Why is no one at SolidWorks Corp. talking specifics on how the
SolidWorks Feature Manager is going to be fixed so that it's easier to
figure out someone else's model? One shouldn't have to be an expert so
that when you try and modify someone else's model you don't end up
making the Feature Manager light up like a Christmas tree.

The Feature Manager is the heart of SolidWorks and it badly needs to
be made easier to use so that relationships are much easier to
understand. If the SolidWorks Feature Manager was easy to use and
understand products like SolidMap simply wouldn't exist.

Jon Banquer
San Diego, CA

From: Bo on
On Jan 25, 2:21 pm, zxys <p...(a)zxys.com> wrote:
> My best guess of what we will see from the new CEO at SW Corp...
>
> ... do some background checking,... Hugh Jefferson (Jeff) Ray
> III.....background  =  Sales and Global Sales.
>
> Let's see,.. if I were a CEO leaving SW Corp,.. I would hire someone
> who was very good at,... let see,.. sales!
>
> There you have it...  I really don't think performance or quality are
> the main focus or will they ever be at SW Corp.
>
> The main focus will be,... just staying ahead enough to keep your
> complacent conservative and new 3D users interested.
>
> Just another AutoDe$k making their mark, buying up technology and
> using ideas from others to sell more licenses..
>
> ..  (break it, fix it, break it, fix it,..... promise to do better,...
> =  great business plan = SALES!)

Well, maybe if we look at the past, for another innovative company
that switched from the initial management to the next generation,
maybe we'll find some insight.

Say Apple after Steve Jobs when they bring in John Sculley who was
steeped in, well, sales. Who "fixed" Apple after the mess it got its
product line into? Steve Jobs after returning, who is and was
basically a product designer who had the consumer in mind.

So at SolidWorks we have Mr. Ray now as CEO, and I want to know if he
actually knows how to use SolidWorks? I doubt he is a serious user,
but could be wrong. I suspect the demand from Dessault for profits
from maintenance fee income is immense. Either Ray gets consumers
what they want, or the consumers will tail back on maintenance, as I
am doing in 2008. I can't justify the hit to productivity to go to
2008 this year. I particularly can not justify paying $2k, for
something I may not be able to use until June or September.

Finding a good release of SolidWorks, using that release for 3-4 years
until a new good release hits and buying SolidWorks again may be the
most cost effective way to go, when you consider training time.

Bo