From: zxys on
Phil,

As Daisy has pointed out, if at all (I'm not positive) you need to
have the SW2007 or SW2008 64 bit version and they're not available for
Vista (maybe in alpha?).

You'll sol if you're wanting to run SW with more ram under Vista 64
bit at this time.

The only real benefit of using Vista on a laptop I believe is power
management?

From: Phil Evans on
well that solves that (non)problem then :-)

Thanks

From: jimsym on
Be sure to order the right HP systems. The new 8510w and 8710w will
support the full 4GB RAM (max on notebooks) when running a 64-bit OS
and there are drivers for WinXP-64 for both.

The older nw9440 and nw8440 will only recognize up to 3-3.5GB RAM -
even if you use a 64-bit OS. I'm not sure if they even came out with
drivers for XP-64 on these systems.

From: TOP on
XP comes in a 64 bit flavor. I can't imagine running a model that big
on a laptop. Either way, one issue with 64 bit has been drivers. This
would be more of a problem with VISTA and especially with laptops.

I built a very nice "luggable" by attaching an LCD flat screen to the
side of a mid tower.

Consider this:

Any laptop with that much ram is primarily tied to a power outlet. So
buy them a 600 dollar laptop for Open Office and put the big bucks
into a real computer and a soft padded aluminum case to carry it in.

TOP

From: pete on
Phil,

What everyone seems to have missed is that yes solidworks will run under
Vista 32 bit, BUT......

1,You will be using software OpenGL = slow, even if you get a driver
working, it is still not very good.

2, You can NOT install service packs as Vista is not recognized by the
Solidworks windows installer.

Been there, tried it!

"Phil Evans" <pevans(a)tagaerospace.com> wrote in message
> We are locked into Solidworks 2007 for the next 2 years due to
> program requirements.
>
> Part of the program requirements is that we provide engineers to
> our clients site.
> To accomplish this we will be buying HP workstation laptops.
> By default they come with Vista Business but HP will provide the XP
> disks to us.
> To fully utilise all the laptops ram we would need to stick with
> Vista.
> Have there been any problems with the combination of Solidworks
> 2007 and Vista?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: IGES conversion