From: jimsym on
In this case, I gleaned a lot of helpful information - even if it
wasn't specifically in answer to your question.

There has been a lot of misinformation about SolidWorks on Vista
floating around. People's experiences with the prerelease SW2007
software was less than stellar. It's good to hear positive reports
about SW2008 on Vista.

Sure wish they'd at least run as a 32-bit app on Vista-64, though.

My recommendations for customers:

If SW2007, stick with XP if possible.
If SW2008. Large datasets will still require XP-64. For others,
Vista/XP is about equal - as long as the hardware is up to snuff.
Supposedly, Vista-32 makes better use of the 4th gig or RAM, so

While the Quadro FX550/560 cards are fine for XP, but right now I'd
strongly recommend at least an FX 1500 for Vista. The next generation
Quadro cards should be much better for Vista. I'd expect the FX 570
to be a good entry level card and the FX 1700 good for all but the
most extreme users.

From: zxys on
Daisy,

Kewl! Yeah, this is close to what I see as well, 2008 is more
inconsistent with releasing the data to the user.
This delay started with 2006 (but it's not terrible) but with 2007 it
was a clear delay and now 2008, it's very clear and varied.

The other issues are... the open and the save time,..(or the total
time from hitting the open and save button to when the data is
accessable) there is a clear delay over previous releases as well.
This ALL adds up!!

Hmm, the out of context issues,well,.. although that may add to the
way the data is released to the user, it's not something that normally
should be a issue in either release, there shouldn't be any warnings?
Unless you have your settings warning you? I don't see warnings, if
that is what you mean?

Anyhow, the delay issues in SW2008 are very real!! Personally, I
don't think this will be fixed, this seems like a core problem in how
the data is being handed over from the CPU to the GPU and storage?
It's as if there fundamental bottleneck (hardware) issues with moving
the data?

Anyway, thanks!

From: Jerry Steiger on
"ChamberPot" <DaisyPot(a)Flower.org> wrote in message
> (feat stat / time to control)
>
> 2008+vista = 219/315
> 2008+xp = 226/285
> 2007+xp = 235/275

That's really interesting. The feature statistics show a clear progression,
from 2007 to 2008 and then from xp to vista. The "real world" numbers show a
clear regression. The marketing guys can honestly (in a devious, slimy,
marketing sort of way) say "it's getting better all the time". Users can
honestly say "it's getting slower all the time".

Jerry Steiger

From: Cliff on
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:54:41 -0400, ChamberPot <DaisyPot(a)Flower.org> wrote:

>copying those really tough playground
>bullies with calloused sphincters from alt,machines,cnc.

<Sheesh>
You should see a few wingers from misc.survivalism.
Their kibble & dehydrated water makes them grumpy
(as does the lack of "MWds" (they have problems telling Ws & Ms
apart so I'm helping <g>).
--
Cliff
First  |  Prev  |