From: Phil Evans on
We are locked into Solidworks 2007 for the next 2 years due to
program requirements.

Part of the program requirements is that we provide engineers to
our clients site.
To accomplish this we will be buying HP workstation laptops.
By default they come with Vista Business but HP will provide the XP
disks to us.
To fully utilise all the laptops ram we would need to stick with
Vista.
Have there been any problems with the combination of Solidworks
2007 and Vista?

From: zxys on
Phil, can you elaborate on this?

Is HP or is there a chart/graphic comparison you were given to show
that Vista was better with ram over XP using SolidWorks?

Otherwise,.. who/what/where/how,.. is Vista utilizing the ram better,
more efficient or different to use it over XP?

From: PotFlower on
Phil Evans wrote:
> We are locked into Solidworks 2007 for the next 2 years due to
> program requirements.
>
> Part of the program requirements is that we provide engineers to
> our clients site.
> To accomplish this we will be buying HP workstation laptops.
> By default they come with Vista Business but HP will provide the XP
> disks to us.
> To fully utilise all the laptops ram we would need to stick with
> Vista.
> Have there been any problems with the combination of Solidworks
> 2007 and Vista?

Don't beleive everything people tell you ,especially when it comes to
program requirements. Vista is a RAM HOG. You will definitely use all of
the ram a laptop has with vista because it will use it ALL.

Yer better off with XP. There is a 2007 version for Vista, but it was
beta. Ur better off with real released softwre. Your not missing
anything by avoiding vista or 2008.

Daisy.

From: Phil Evans on
It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that
Windows XP can only access a maximum of 4 gigs of ram.
Vista 32 bit has the same limitation but Vista 64 bit can access
128 gigs of ram.

From: PotFlower on
Phil Evans wrote:
> It is my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, that
> Windows XP can only access a maximum of 4 gigs of ram.
> Vista 32 bit has the same limitation but Vista 64 bit can access
> 128 gigs of ram.

That's not what you said originally. If you're worried about that, why
don't you get XP 64bit since I don't believe any vershon of SW exits
curently that runs on vista64.

Daisy.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8