From: Jerry Steiger on
"ChamberPot" <DaisyPot(a)Flower.org> wrote in message
> I'm assuming your trying to make your living with this software? Or are
> you just a weekend doghouse modeler? Why in hell would you cobb together a
> fucked up jerry-rigged system, when Two people have now told you that SW08
> is faster on Vista than SW07 is on XP.

That is JURY-rigged, not JERRY-rigged. For some reason I am a little
sensitive about that particular misuse of the English Language.

Jerry Steiger

From: zxys on
Daisy and Wonderman,

If you guys have some time... could you (or anyone) do us a favor and
run a test to show that SW2008 on Vista is faster than SW2007 on XP?
Since Anna chimed in here,.. can you use her "PunchHolder" file as the
bench mark?

http://www.acrodesigns.com/SolidWorks/ProcessorBenchmark/PunchHolder.zip
http://designsmarter.typepad.com/solidmuse/2007/05/index.html
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pz7wTpIkC7LA28ybEyxyTPw

What I'd like to ask specifically is,.. (get our your "stopwatch") and
give us the total time from a ctrl-q to when you have full access to
the model (when you can edit the model).
(please,.. do NOT to give us the Feature Statistic numbers, just the
total time from ctrl-q to when SW releases the data for you to edit!)

Thanks.

From: zxys on
Oh, btw, to insure more accuracy, or before you do the two test, make
sure you open the original file in "both" SW2007 (XP) and SW2008
(Vista),.. do a ctrl-q, save as, "to another file name" (i.e., SW07XP
and SW08Vista), close SW and reopen the new saved file and then do
your test.

... 8^)

From: ChamberPot on
zxys wrote:
> Daisy,
>
> Thanks for that... but, actually not mkay.
> The whole point of this test is getting a accurate value at full
> control of the model.
> Feature statistic numbers are unreliable for real work values, it does
> not capture the real issue of the strange delays you were seeing.
> 100 seconds nominal is not close to the values I've witnessed,.. I've
> seen 150% to 200% increases in the times over the Feature statistic
> times.
> That is why I wanted someone to show this.. and, I appreciate you
> doing this!!

sorry for beig such a drunken slacker, but let's just say its
proportional. most of the times to have control were like this:

(feat stat / time to control)

2008+vista = 219/315
2008+xp = 226/285
2007+xp = 235/275

vista did some rell werd stuff. It was like it would give you control,
and then you move the mouse and it would do the hourglass (or that new
ring thing) again, so it was hard to tell when it was really done.

> IMHO, it's not out of context to real issues with using SW2007 and
> SW2008.

I meant the model has out of context references, you know ->?

Daisy.

From: pete on
I hope you are sober, ( :-P), when you decide to reply, but what was the
hardware the test was run on?
Was you running Vista, with all of the bell and whistles, or set to
performance?
Are you running Raid?
What version of Vista?
Was this Solidworks 2008 standard or the Office version, etc..., what, if
any, add-ins did you have enabled?

:-)

> zxys wrote:
>> Daisy,
>>
>> Thanks for that... but, actually not mkay.
>> The whole point of this test is getting a accurate value at full
>> control of the model.
>> Feature statistic numbers are unreliable for real work values, it does
>> not capture the real issue of the strange delays you were seeing.
>> 100 seconds nominal is not close to the values I've witnessed,.. I've
>> seen 150% to 200% increases in the times over the Feature statistic
>> times.
>> That is why I wanted someone to show this.. and, I appreciate you
>> doing this!!
>
> sorry for beig such a drunken slacker, but let's just say its
> proportional. most of the times to have control were like this:
>
> (feat stat / time to control)
>
> 2008+vista = 219/315
> 2008+xp = 226/285
> 2007+xp = 235/275
>
> vista did some rell werd stuff. It was like it would give you control, and
> then you move the mouse and it would do the hourglass (or that new ring
> thing) again, so it was hard to tell when it was really done.
>

>> IMHO, it's not out of context to real issues with using SW2007 and
>> SW2008.
>

> I meant the model has out of context references, you know ->?
>
> Daisy.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: IGES conversion