From: Antti Lukats on
"Peter Alfke" <peter(a)xilinx.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Trying to smoothe the waves.
> Spartan3e does NOT use a new, unproven manufacturing technology. That
> means there should not be big surprises like they were with the
> previous generation.
> The sequence of availability will be : 500e, and 100e first, 1600e
> then, 250e and 1200 ater that.
>
> I am looking for the evalboard later today.
> Peter

haha - S3e 'GENERAL AVAILABILITY' was mid august 2005 according to Xilinx
postings on c.a.f.

somehow I feel the people are not witnesssing this general availability ?

its few hours til NOV 2005. (or it already is in NZ).

but mid august is way past. be it NZ or US westcoast timezone.

as of today the s3e 'introduction' looks, well 'a little less disaster' then
the s3 introduction.

Antti's 3e cents

From: Peter Alfke on
I do not understand what joy people get out of bitching and moaning.
I am not in Marketing, I just try to help with some factual
information.
If I can get it...
Peter Alfke

From: Antti Lukats on
>I do not understand what joy people get out of bitching and moaning.
> I am not in Marketing, I just try to help with some factual
> information.
> If I can get it...
> Peter Alfke

Peter,

I just want to have an S3e to play with.
thats it.
simple as that.

I CAN NOT talk about s3e at work- believe me I tried. I will get a weird a
look only. I did think that I can not eat my pride to make another attempt
(to talki in favor of s3e) but, I did I did eat the pride and did try again
to promote S3e - with the same weird look as result. People on the field do
not trust to deal with S3e yet. Thats the situation as of today. Sorry.

I could ask some friend from some other company to place on order on my
behalf, but - that I think is too much troublesome. I can not buy from
Xilinx (Xilinx is not selling..) and I am not going to beg either. I do have
other toys to play with.

I personally DO still think that S3e is the BEST low cost FPGA around -
specially the MBT feature, etc. - but it is also likely that I will be
looking into alternatives.

Peter, its the marketing - Xilinx is big, we all know that, but that is no
excuse to bullshit big time. If S3e is available as of today, WHY is it not
available from Xilinx online store? Altera has pretty much all the product
line in their online shop. I dont have to tell you what is orderable in
Xi?inx online store. The fact that s3e is orderable by disties with their
usueal 6-8 week delivery (maybe), is not good enough.

You know, I am Xilinx user. But as of the S3e delay, I looked 2nd time at
Altera Cyclone II, and BIG SURPRISE I found DCI like features there - with
no external components. I dont have direct application for this, but I have
this on my mind - Cyclone II, orderable now, low cost, supports standard
SPI, has on chip termination.

If I would have been busy playing with S3e I may not have discovered this
feature of Cyclone II. Sorry I have not made full comparison of C-II vs S3e,
but chances are C-2 wins. ok, maybe not, the Xilinx SRL16 are really nice,
specially when used the way Ken likes it. I hope the missing config readback
function of S3 is now being fixed in S3e silicon. Cheapest C-2 available
today in online shop is around 12 USD. If I can not buy S3e, I will be
buying C-2 ? Could be.

For Peter Alfke - I was about to say that I am able to design and
manufacture an S3e eval board in 1 WEEK - from design start GO til orders
shipped (sure large NRE applies) -, but there is no silicon. hence no eval
boards. Xilinx is "targetting" DEC 2005, heavens sake, if there is working
silicon of s3e why delay the eval boards til December???? Any delay is lost
business, lost money - GOGO, many people are eager to design in S3e, if they
get real assurance on availabiliy. The people in the field are no longer
buying the marketing bullshit. You can either by the stuff or not. Saying it
is available means nothing. Take a look at S3 intro the actual availability
was more than a year later from what Xilinx claimed it.

A lot of people are looking at 'Xilinx latest' - and they want to get hands
dirty with S3e, so why delay? Only explanation I can think of is that there
is no silicon working enough to the degree of being allowed to be used in
evaluation boards.

Really - day before yesterday I spend some time thinking if I should make an
s3e eval board - and I figured out that as I am not able to get authorative
trustworthy answer on silicon availability it makes no sense to invest extra
time at this moment - so I am doing something else instead. Steven Knapp as
example hasnt cared to answer my emails. Just plain ignorance. Ok, agreed
maybe I am too PITA and thats why he hasnt responded.

Antti,

Peter relax - I know you are not in the marketing, Maybe one day the
marketing will understand that not everything goes. And I dont have much joy
in moaning, I do have A LOT OF JOY playing with latest and greates
technologies. I really do. And I do play with what I get hands on. Sometimes
spending my (or even my families) food money on it. I do not have have any
s3e yet, but I have spent some of my private money to obtain some
programmable devices lately (not xilinx silicon) and considering buying some
more stuff (again not xilinx silicon). hmm,.. actually my last buy was some
Xilinx XC4000 on ebay :) - still having ideas to support old FPGAs that are
abondoned by their creators.

sneak preview: on my harddisk I have a tool I call 'Logic Assembler' it can
serve as front end for almost any FPGA/PLD for what the vendor fitter/mapper
exists. Tested in silicon with Atmel FPSLIC and Xilinx V4, also works for
Xilinx XC4K(bitgen OK no silicon test yet), and pretty much everything. I am
looking into adding support for XC2K, XC3K as well but as I have lost my 5
Inch disks with XACT unfortunatly the XC2/3K support is under questionmark
:( oh well maybe I can buy it (old XACT) one day on ebay, you never know.

---
sorry for long buff.

From: Jim Granville on
Antti Lukats wrote:

<snip>
> sneak preview: on my harddisk I have a tool I call 'Logic Assembler' it can
> serve as front end for almost any FPGA/PLD for what the vendor fitter/mapper
> exists.

Hi Antti,
Care to post some code examples ? Output format(s) ?
-jg

From: Eric Smith on
"Antti Lukats" <antti(a)openchip.org> writes:
> to my surprise Avnet claimed that they have shipped about 400 s3e kits and

That's their own XC3S100E board, not the Xilinx starter board with the XC3S500E.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Error (XST): translate terminal to FCT
Next: Memory in VHDL